Go Down

Topic: How to increase sampling rate and audio quality on Arduino (Read 994 times) previous topic - next topic

So I have been told that the ADC built into Arduinos are unable to sample at very high quality nor can the memory of an Arduino store a very large sample. If it is not apparent yet, I don't know much about audio sampling and so far I have found it more complicated than I thought.

What I am looking to accomplish is to record a 10 second or so recording at mp3 quality, maybe a bit lower. That's it.

Can someone point me in the right direction of how to accomplish this? Is there a ic chip I can buy? Do you use external DAC's and memory?

The hardware I have now is an Uno with a SD card and an electret microphone breakout board.

Thanks!

Grumpy_Mike

Do you use external DAC's and memory?

Basically yes.
For CD like quality you need a sample rate of about 40KHz with a 16 bit sample size.
So the memory you need for 10 seconds recording is 40000 * 2 * 10 = 800K
That is a lot of memory to add to a normal arduino.
It is more than is even in the Due.
You would also need a 16bit D/A for the output.
All in all this is a bit advanced for a beginner.

I just want to write the sample to a SD card so would DAC be necessary?

Grumpy_Mike

No, not just for writing. However you can't write at a sustainable fast speed to a SD card without having a large RAM buffer.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy