Go Down

Topic: Building an Ethernet bandwidth monitor - Suggestio (Read 4197 times) previous topic - next topic

kg4wsv

The Microchip ENC28J60 is a layer 2 device.  The IC is probably cheaper than the Wiznet IC.  nuelectronics sells an ethernet shield based on that device; not sure how the price compares to the official ethernet module.

Dougl, clever idea about using status LEDs.  The wiznet module (not the official ethernet shield!) has pins for those LEDs available.

-j

dbunting

An inline tap between your modem and switch/router will expose all traffic in and out of the network.  you need to make sure that the arduino is only passively monitoring the traffic otherwise your risk corrupting your packets.

Sounds like a rather useful device.
being able to see all incoming and out going bandwidth usage, maybe even be able to break it down to packet type reporting (x% TCP y% UPD z% Other)

follower

noticed many links are broken.
In particular you have one titled "W5100 and MACRAW" which sounds interesting but is broken. (looks like wiznet redesigned their website, that's why).

Thanks for the feedback--it doesn't surprise me that some of the links are broken--I've added a Google search to that item which might help you find what you are looking for.

Hope that helps.

--Phil.

KaOS

dbunting:
being able to see all incoming and out going bandwidth usage, maybe even be able to break it down to packet type reporting (x% TCP y% UPD z% Other)

this is exactly what I'm working on. I don't know if it is possible (processing power) but if I could just -depending on the type of packet- send different serial commands to the arduino that would already be a great step forward. also srcport, destport and possibly other values can be interesting information.

Luca: by going analog you would lose a great deal of potentially interesting information don't you think? also noise could give you lots of false alarms.

I'm gonna try some thing with all the info earlier in this post. I have the wiz5100 ethernet-shield btw

bokt

William01

Feb 11, 2010, 04:46 pm Last Edit: Feb 11, 2010, 04:47 pm by 124518 Reason: 1
Hi you can try to use ProteMac Meter too.It[ch8217]s tool record of your network and display internet traffic.It[ch8217]s must be helpful  to your.It[ch8217]s really good tool. :D

Go Up