Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: 8 Channel Relay Board - Proofreading  (Read 11521 times)
USA, FL
God Member
A life? Where can I download one of those?
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I have drawn up an 8 channel relay board from a couple of different schematics and wanted another set of eyes to proofread it for me.  It is an opto-isolated system that will be controlling 24V max.  

I have never used a relay with an Arduino and I would rather design my own ckt than to just buy one.  As I am aware, this should be an active-low layout.  Are my assumptions correct?
The IN1-IN8 are the Arduino inputs and +5V will come from a Power supply.  VCC will come from Arduino's supply.

Any advice or constructive criticism is welcome.

* Relay Board.sch (988.14 KB - downloaded 64 times.)

* relay.png (41.74 KB, 1161x898 - viewed 267 times.)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 04:29:40 pm by codlink » Logged

//LiNK

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Design looks ok. Use a picture hosting side without so much spam. Or just attach the pictures to your post:
Click "Additional Options", browse to your attachment.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Dallas, TX
View Profile

I guess I'm blind today.

USA, FL
God Member
View Profile

Design looks ok. Use a picture hosting side without so much spam. Or just attach the pictures to your post:
Click "Additional Options", browse to your attachment.

I apologize CrossRoads.  I have been using postimg for years now and never had any spam on my screen.  Of course, I use FireFox with around 5 anti-spam/pop-up/ads extensions.  I am one person that hates ads and pop-ups.  I turned off the blockers and reloaded the page and didn't see anything.  But, I am sorry.

I don't like use the attachment feature when I need to upload large pics as I hate to scroll all over it to see it.

Also, thanks for the extra set of eyes. +1

I guess I'm blind today.

Looking at what?

//LiNK

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

How is scrolling all over an external website any different than scrolling all over in here? In both cases it's too big. Export the picture in eagle so that it comes out ~ 800 pixels wide.  You can modify your post to remove the external pic, and attach the smaller schematic.  I've gone back & "Modify"'d lots of my posts that came out a lot bigger than I thought.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Dallas, TX
View Profile

I guess I'm blind today.

Looking at what?

It looks like the schematic is incomplete around the opto-isolator.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

I don't think so -  just uses names on the nets vs drawing lines all over the place. Easy to follow.
The IN and VCC/5V headers could have been drawn on the left side of the page to show signal flow a little better, is the only change I would have made.

USA, FL
God Member
View Profile

I hadn't thought about everyone having the same size screen as I.

Original post modified with updated schematic.

//LiNK

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

That turned out well.

USA, FL
God Member
View Profile

Curious, what is pin 6 on the opto used for?  Should I leave it floating?

//LiNK

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Leave it floating.

Dallas, TX
View Profile

Curious, what is pin 6 on the opto used for?  Should I leave it floating?

You can use it to bias the BE junction by placing a resistor from the base to the emitter and reduce the sensitivity to low level LED light and hence produce a sharper switching action. Normally it is left unconnected.

Dallas, TX
View Profile

I don't think so -  just uses names on the nets vs drawing lines all over the place. Easy to follow.
The IN and VCC/5V headers could have been drawn on the left side of the page to show signal flow a little better, is the only change I would have made.

It's not clear to me how any current ever flows in the collector of the phototransistor. It looks like there is a missing resistor.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

I don't think so -  just uses names on the nets vs drawing lines all over the place. Easy to follow.

It's not clear to me how any current ever flows in the collector of the phototransistor. It looks like there is a missing resistor.

Yep, no current source to be seen for the opto collector to relay npn base connection. That dog won't bark.

Lefty

Dallas, TX
View Profile

Yep, no current source to be seen for the opto collector to relay npn base connection. That dog won't bark.

Lefty

I was hoping OP would catch it. I gave a couple of hints. It's better when you figure it out for yourself, I think.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: