Switching a lot of lightbulbs

Hi!
I am tinkering about a project where i need to switch a lot of lightbulbs on and of.
So i searched and found some approaches. A project some of you might already know is Blinkenlights:

Here is some interesting information provided about the setup of blinkenlights BlinkenBone
I was always searching for a way to do something similar myself.

Is there a known way to switch "a lot of" (lets say 128) 230V AC lightbulbs? Relayinterfaces for pc offer mostly only 8 ports. Didn't i find the right devices? Or searched the wrong term?
Another way some people try are houseautomation devices (i don't know anything about these).

Could you imagine other ways to do this?
Do you know interfaces which use lets say 12v (for small lightbulbs) and handle this without relays?

Perhaps you have an idea!
Thanks a lot!!!

Does it have to be actual light bulbs? Or can it be more modern, less maintenance required high brightness LEDs?
Here are similar LEDs in a 5 foot wide Nick Fuel Band display.

I know this sounds fairly stupid...but yes: due to aesthetic reasons lighbulbs are needed.
With leds there are already some convenient solutions, like addressable led stripes...
Do you know any "out of the box" solutions for high brightness leds? In my opinion the high power chips are also difficult to control, because you need a constant current source...

Switching fluorescents on and off quickly is a great way to burn up the starters quicker.

Maybe it would be better to put controllable blinds on the windows. Then even in daytime effects can be achieved.

The Arduino Uno has 20 pins that can be used to control external devices. You only need 7 pins to control 128 lamps.

What you also need are a few ICs to "decode" the 7 pins into 128 separate signals and hold the setting - something like a few 74HC259 addressable latches. After that you need something suitable to control the power to the lamps based on the setting of the latched data - perhaps just a series of relays.

...R

Or you can use a series of cheap shift registers on SPI bus and external power for those. The expensive part will be the 128 relays to go from controller power to full-blown 120/240VAC lights.

Perhaps solid state relays then for the lightbulbs.

Every time I look, SSR's are way more expensive.

When you say "due to aesthetic reasons lighbulbs are needed", do you mean you want the slowish turn-on/turn-off that light bulbs have?
You can always put "globes" over the LEDs to get the light bulb diffused effect.

Ouh yeah! Thats quite a lot of interesting stuff here!
CrossRoads:
I am from europe - and we got a new law that prohibits the use of conventional bulbs in home use. The project will be some kind of game, where lightbulbs are used as "pixels". The aim of this work is to seize the prohibition of the lightbulb, and should be a hommage to it. So, i'd totally agree that nobody 'd notice that there are no real lightbulbs used - but it would feel somehow like cheating. The more conventional the used bulbs are, the more the original idea of the work is hit. In my opinion 230V - 60W - glow wire is "conventional".

You already pushed me in an interesting direction with SSR's. I researched some distributors and the price is below the one of normal relays...perhaps this is really the way to go.
I am wondering that nobody buildt someting like that....

Thanks for your input!!!

I think I'd try to hack one of the below signs to have each LED also operate a relay.

https://www.google.com/search?q=led+scrolling+sign&num=100&lr=&sa=X&hl=en&biw=1134&bih=618&tbs=vw:l,p_ord:p&tbm=shop&ei=LiBrUb38AvXH4AOGzoCQDQ&ved=0CFUQuw0oAg

Don't know what price you are looking for, may be opto-SCR 'd be an option:

http://webapps.nuhorizons.com/storefront/PartSearch.do?PartNumberSearch=CPC1966&Manufacturer=ALLMFG&InStockOnly=FALSE&PbFreeOnly=null&ItemsPerPage=25&PageNum=1&PartNumberHolder=&Mode=initSearch&PostAction=GO&ResultsPerPage=25&NextPage=1&Commodity=ALL&CalledFromLink=YES&prevSearchType=&pSearchType=CompanyPart&referrerSite=&referredBy=null

OptimusPrime:
I am from europe - and we got a new law that prohibits the use of conventional bulbs in home use. The project will be some kind of game, where lightbulbs are used as "pixels". The aim of this work is to seize the prohibition of the lightbulb, and should be a hommage to it.

With 100's of millions of homes, the savings in power will be significant in bettering life.

Why pay homage to a thing that has long signified useless waste? What percent of the power going into an incandescent bulb is turned directly to heat? About 90%. 90% waste. Homage? It should be the opposite! Now it's closer to 20% waste. If that was taxes, you would understand immediately so why not with light bulbs?

What's next? Let's return to gas lights in the house or better yet... candles and fireplace! Oh yeah! Then people start vandalizing houses for wood to burn.

I live above 1200 ft altitude. Maybe after the coastal cities are under water enough will stopped being done that sea level won't rise this high. But I wouldn't bet on it.

GoForSmoke:

OptimusPrime:
I am from europe - and we got a new law that prohibits the use of conventional bulbs in home use. The project will be some kind of game, where lightbulbs are used as "pixels". The aim of this work is to seize the prohibition of the lightbulb, and should be a hommage to it.

With 100's of millions of homes, the savings in power will be significant in bettering life.

Why pay homage to a thing that has long signified useless waste? What percent of the power going into an incandescent bulb is turned directly to heat? About 90%. 90% waste. Homage? It should be the opposite! Now it's closer to 20% waste. If that was taxes, you would understand immediately so why not with light bulbs?

What's next? Let's return to gas lights in the house or better yet... candles and fireplace! Oh yeah! Then people start vandalizing houses for wood to burn.

I live above 1200 ft altitude. Maybe after the coastal cities are under water enough will stopped being done that sea level won't rise this high. But I wouldn't bet on it.

While they are at it they should ban all 7805 voltage regulators and shutdown their production. Switching regulators are available and will help save the planet and keep my west coast home above sea level.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251066005460?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I'd rather see an end to disposable batteries and just about every other 'disposable' object.

Really though, how much power is wasted by 7805's? There must be billions of the things in place maybe losing a Watt-Hour or more a day, each.

The real problem is how to keep up conspicuous consumption and be green at the same time?
Big Business won't like it if consumption falters.

I've bought some 90w incandescent bulbs to save for use in my outside IR motion detection security light. The current CFL bulbs commonly available are terrible in cold weather for security lights.

Try halogens. You can save half the waste right there. Or leds.

Thanks all of you for your ideas!
Optocouplers could do the job...and hacking led signs for controlling is a quite interesting thought!

Hi Guys!
I know it's been a long time - but i always like to see what happens to the projects some people come up with - and i also want to share this with you! This was the solution:

Have fun!

http://vimeo.com/70293351