Most powerful motor I can drive with Arduino

Hello,

What motor has the highest torque to speed ratio that can be driven with Arduino.
I realize this question is vague. My apologies. I don't have definite values as
I am experimenting with a lot of unknowns and need to make a test.

Best,
nidasinn

nidasinn:
Hello,

What motor has the highest torque to speed ratio that can be driven with Arduino.

Best,
nidasinn

Well in a way your question is almost impossible to answer. There is no real limit of how large a motor an arduino board can CONTROL. Where people get in trouble is when they expect an arduino board to be able to supply the power a motor requires, which is very limited.

So in building a motor powered project the order of selection should be:

1. Select the motor that has the required torque/speed that the project requires.
  2. Obtain a motor driver module that can support the voltage and maximum current draw of the motor under it's highest load.
  3. Obtain a power supply that can supply the needed voltage and current for the driver/motor.

Assuming the motor driver module uses some standard control logic interface, usually it's pretty simple to have the arduino manipulate the motor driver module to the desired functions the project requires.

Lefty

The Arduino board itself can not drive a motor.
You need a motor driver with power mosfets.
Some (not too expensive) motor drivers can drive up to 10A or 20A.
If you want a few hundred amp for a drag race motor, you need something special or build the motor driver yourself.

(While I was typing this, retrolefty wrote the same)

This is very helpful. And hopefully if I understand correctly, I'm closer than I thought.

1. I purchased the motor that was recommended to me.
  2. This motor (TMCM-1180 PD86-1180) has a built in driver 5.5A RMS/ 24 or 48V DC USB, RS232, RS485, and CAN
  3. I purchased the appropriate power supply

Unfortunately, I thought my partner would be able to program the software that comes bundled but it's Assembler and
difficult to master.

Am I correct in understanding that Arduino can manipulate this driver?

Thank you very much

There is no limit.

You can drive a General Electric GE90-115B turbofan aircraft engine with an arduino, provided you have the proper methods to interface one with the other.

Now, if you mean DIRECTLY driving motors, right with the Arduino pins, without any BJTs, specialized ICs or FETs, your limit is really narrow.

An Arduino's pin current limit is only 40mA, and the voltage depends on the Arduino model you are using (usually 3.3V or 5V). A motor that fits within these limits is a really tiny, low-power motor.

Now, if you are using other means to interface with the motors, then your mileage may vary. A specialized IC, called L293D, for example, contains 2 H-bridges, and has the following specs: Vin up to 36V, Imax (peak) up to 1.2A (combined). There are several other means.

That motor rings a bell: Which Arduino needed for high voltage TMCM-1180 PD86-1180 ? - Motors, Mechanics, Power and CNC - Arduino Forum

Use RS232 or RS485 to control it with the Arduino.

Thank you. I'm glad to hear there is no limit other than my steep learning curve! I look forward to being able to ask more pointed questions as my knowledge increases. Thank you for your patience!

You can drive up to 800W with this board – Multifunctional POWER SHIELD 6+6 T800 more info. http://v-vTech.com

nidasinn:
Hello,

Best,
nidasinn

What do you think you mean by "torque to speed ratio"? Can't imagine such a thing being
useful or even meaningful.

The product of torque and speed is power, that is useful concept.

1. This motor (TMCM-1180 PD86-1180) has a built in driver 5.5A RMS/ 24 or 48V DC USB, RS232, RS485, and CAN

Link to datasheet seems to be missing for this motor.