Go Down

Topic: 500-1000ft. range wireless communication (Read 10 times) previous topic - next topic

Keven Belanger

What will be the best way to send data from an arduino to another arduino located between 500 and 1000 ft. away?

Thanks,

Keven

jezuz

Series 1 and Series 2.5 High Power Xbee's have a mile range, which would be good for you. They go for about $40 bucks a piece.

retrolefty

Range claims need to be taken with a gain of salt. Many such specs are based on best case line of sight with no interfering signals. Going through walls, thick vegetation, etc will shorten range. How much? I haven't a clue.

But If I needed to span 500ft I would want something rated from say 2000ft on up, but that's me. I have past ham radio experience.  ;D

Lefty

48X24X48X

The newer XBee ZB Pro is 3.2 km (~ 2 mile) for LOS. You would need to use higher gain antenna though. If your region allows the use of 900 MHz and 868 MHz band radios, go for that instead. :)

AWOL

'Best' is a pretty meaningless term.
Best in terms of what?
Speed of transmission?
Security/reliability?
Cost?
Battery life?

I'd probably recommend cellular, but a simple laser bounced off low cloud could be the right answer.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Go Up