Hello Fellow Forum Members,
As a Pre-cursor to the below post. I DO NOT HAVE ANY CODE as of yet. This post is exploratory and research based at the moment.
I have a desire to do an Open Source "Nest
Here is some project background:
I would like to do HVAC Control as well as Zoning Control with the R-pi as the "Brains"
I would like to use the Arduino for Servo Motor Control and Temperature Sensors (Possible "Motion" Sensors as well)
My Understanding of Zoning
- Each room in a house is a "Zone"
- Each zone is 'Independently' controlled by temperature sensor.
- The Zone's HVAC Registers are opened or closed (Partially in some cases) to control room temperature
I believe that this project will do two things:
1) Allow me to have a "Learning" Thermostat (Powered by R-pi) that is web-based and open source
2) Save money by only cooling/heating "Occupied" portions of the house
So far I have gathered some information from these websites:http://www.plainlystated.com/2011/07/building-a-thermostat-using-arduino/http://diy-zoning.sourceforge.net/index.htmlhttp://www.homeclimatecontrol.com/adkhttp://androidthermostat.com/http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/tutorials/how-to-diy-128/get-position-feedback-from-a-standard-hobby-servo-3279/
I believe the R-pi has enough I/Os to control the Relays for the actual HVAC. It looks like I will need 4 relays for my house.
I plan on then connecting all of the Servos and Various sensors to one or more Arduinos. The R-Pi and the arduino(s) will be about 20m apart. (Arduinos will be mounted in bedroom closet, R-pi will be on the wall in living room)
I would also like to have a Touch Screen for the HVAC Controls connected to the R-Pi.My Questions to this Community.
1) What pitfalls am I missing? Will I destroy something??
2) Has anybody done this already (No reason to re-invent the wheel)
3) What is the best way to do R-Pi <-> Arduino Communication (uART,Serial, RS-485, IP, etc)
4) Any Recommended Components?
5) Where should I put the Sensors for each room?
6) What does it take to build a thermostat circuit? Any other project links would be great!
7) Anybody else interested in getting involved?
Thanks so much for taking the time to read this!