Go Down

Topic: Maximum Number of Stepper Motors on an Arduino Board (Read 529 times) previous topic - next topic

JARV15

I'm trying to create a model that has a component which moves out, pauses, then moves back in. I've been looking online, and it appears a stepper motor would do this. The moving object is light, so I guess a 5V stepper motor will do the job, and the travelling distance would only be a maximum of 8cm. Do I need a motor shield to connect the motor to my Arduino board? I've also seen that a 'ULN2003 controller' works, but I don't understand what this is? Also, how many stepper motors can I connect to a single Arduino board?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

AWOL

An R/C servo would be cheaper and might do the job.
Easier to drive too.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

kf2qd

If you use a stepper driver you can control a stepper with just signals from your Arduino, Step & Direction, so you could easily control 6 steppers off of 1 Arduino. WIth some multiplexing - depending on just how motors have to function together, you could do more.

JARV15

Cheers guys that's really useful. I found some cheap 5V stepper motors that connect to a ULN2003 controller and then to the Arduino (my moving parts are really light so I only need 5V). I'm guessing I'll need to connect a battery pack as the laptop power won't be enough, do you know if a 4 cell pack would be sufficient to serve 4 stepper motors?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy