Go Down

Topic: Using ISP without loosing bootloader (Read 161 times) previous topic - next topic

bratan

Is it possible to program Atmega chip with ISP in way that doesn't remove bootloader? I'm using USBTiny ISP and arduino ide, and every time I upload sketch it removes bootloader :(
Xronos Clock - A talking arduino based alarm clock is now available. Check out xronosclock.com for pictures, source code, schematics, and purchasing info :)

hiduino

Mar 27, 2015, 02:02 pm Last Edit: Mar 27, 2015, 02:04 pm by hiduino
No.  You have to erase the flash before programming via ISP, which deletes the bootloader as well.

Why have a bootloader at all if you are using ISP for programming?

The bootloader is only needed for serial uploading via USB or FTDI.

bratan

No.  You have to erase the flash before programming via ISP, which deletes the bootloader as well.

Why have a bootloader at all if you are using ISP for programming?

The bootloader is only needed for serial uploading via USB or FTDI.

I see, thanks!  I actually use both. Some boards don't have FTDI header soldered yet, so I use ISP. I guess I can just make FTDI jig with pogo pins... FTDI uploads also much faster than via ISP...
Xronos Clock - A talking arduino based alarm clock is now available. Check out xronosclock.com for pictures, source code, schematics, and purchasing info :)

DrAzzy

I see, thanks!  I actually use both. Some boards don't have FTDI header soldered yet, so I use ISP. I guess I can just make FTDI jig with pogo pins... FTDI uploads also much faster than via ISP...
Depends on the ISP you're using - when you're communicating with the ArduinoAsISP at 19200 baud, of course FTDI at 110-whatever kbaud (~5x faster), of course you'll be able or program. There are much faster ISPs, you're just not using one.

Now, if you're hand flashing them, you could combine the hex files - a script could probably do this quite easily, HEX is an easy format.
Tiny841 + 1634 Core:http://drazzy.com/e/tiny841.shtml
ATTiny core for 1.6.x, for x4/x5/x61/x7/x8 series) https://github.com/SpenceKonde/ATTinyCore

bratan

Now, if you're hand flashing them, you could combine the hex files - a script could probably do this quite easily, HEX is an easy format.
Hey that's a great idea actually! Thanks!

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy