Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Problem with looping shiftOut command  (Read 612 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Are you testing with the USB connected? If so you can't use pins 0 and 1 as general purpose IO pins.
Why do you have a loop within a loop? your for loop inside the loop function, but nothing changes between each iteration of your loop, you don't use i anywhere, or increment any values.
Finally what is the benefit of B01000000 >>1? why not just use: B00100000 and not shift?

South Africa
View Profile

Are you testing with the USB connected? If so you can't use pins 0 and 1 as general purpose IO pins.

Are you talking about the UNO, if not the pins are the ATTinys pins.

Why do you have a loop within a loop? your for loop inside the loop function, but nothing changes between each iteration of your loop, you don't use i anywhere, or increment any values.

The for loop is one pattern, so that is only one pattern. The i should change as I have used the same for loop before.

Finally what is the benefit of B01000000 >>1? why not just use: B00100000 and not shift?

As I said in my first post, I am new to coding, but I do understand the basic concepts. I did that because it was in the last code that I wrote before posting and it worked, I have tried the following for the 8 bits: B01000000 >> 8; B01000000 >> 4; B01000000.

I still haven't seen any code that does compile.

The code was changed in the first post and it does compile.

Global Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

B01000000 >> 8;

That will be zero, so you may as well just write: 0

http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

Please post technical questions on the forum - not to me by personal message. Thanks a lot.

France
Edison Member
Scientia potentia est.
View Profile

(Assuming you use 595's shift registers) I always recommend to read this and try the small library at the end: http://bildr.org/2011/08/74hc595-breakout-arduino

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: