Go Down

Topic: External memory for configuration storage (Read 165 times) previous topic - next topic

Haridimos

Hi guys,

I am thinking of a project that will include several similar units networked together. Each unit should have its own configuration. The Arduino itself should write the configuration data to the memory. That means that an external memory is required.

After a short googling I discovered the 24LC256. The capacity is enormously greater than my needs but ... what the heck ... it costs about 3 USD.

The fact that it will store the configuration means that I do not have to worry about the cycles of write (it is not a data logger).

I have only one concern. Would it be possible to address a specific area in the memory? It will not be convenient if I have to read/write large blocks in the RAM of the Arduino.

chucktodd

Hi guys,

I am thinking of a project that will include several similar units networked together. Each unit should have its own configuration. The Arduino itself should write the configuration data to the memory. That means that an external memory is required.

After a short googling I discovered the 24LC256. The capacity is enormously greater than my needs but ... what the heck ... it costs about 3 USD.

The fact that it will store the configuration means that I do not have to worry about the cycles of write (it is not a data logger).

I have only one concern. Would it be possible to address a specific area in the memory? It will not be convenient if I have to read/write large blocks in the RAM of the Arduino.

The Arduino contains 1,024 bytes of reWriteable EEPROM, This EEPROM is specified to be rewriteable up to 100,000 times before failure.  check out the Eeprom.h library.

the 24lc256 EEPROMS are I2C devices.  you can read and write individual bytes. If you write over 1 byte at a time, you will need to understand 'write Page size'.

Read the Datasheet of the EEPROM you choose.  It will reduce the headaches you encounter.

Chuck.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy