Go Down

Topic: Multiple AC Dimmer (Read 591 times) previous topic - next topic

clensing

Hey guys, I am working on a multiple AC dimmer. I used this code from someone else and modified it a little. I am using the code attached, it requires me to put in to the serial port "D/0/40/F", 0 channel at 40% brightness. I have messages from max that need to be sent to the arduino over the serial port. It works when I have one set up but as soon as both messages are simultaneously firing the process slows down a ton and gets tripped up. I was wondering if this is a serial port latency problem or if this is more or less a problem with messages colliding. I also dont know if this is the best way to pursue this or not. I want to do 88 lights, which would require about 11 arduino's with 88 seperate bread boards for each dimmed light. Is this the best way to pursue this? I am trying to cut down on costs... idk if there is any other solution. I looked at some DMX hardware but it all seems pricey with only a couple channels offered. Any ideas?

Thanks a ton guys!

DVDdoug

It works when I have one set up but as soon as both messages are simultaneously firing the process slows down a ton and gets tripped up.
It might depend on how the Arduino is handling (parsing/decoding) messages.   Can you successfully send one message adressing one lamp, and after a pause send a 2nd message to the 2nd lamp?

What does it mean that the process slows down?  Is there a latency (delay) between the time the message is sent and when the lamp reacts?     

Is there a chance you are overflowing the serial input buffer while the Arduino's brain is off doing something else (like dimming a lamp or decoding the message)?   I think the buffer is 128 bytes, so I don't think you should overflow it with two DMX messages in a row...

clensing

After going through some more experimenting it seemed the problem was messages colliding. When two would collide it would send a Code Unknown to the arduino delaying the process. The process is still not at real time because I have a gate in max switching extremely fast between the two messages so they dont collide. But it is more real time. I dont think it is a latency issue, overflow of the serial port might be a problem when i try to hook up around 8 with one arduino. hopefully not....

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy