Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: What is your typical values for Eagle?  (Read 5267 times)
Portugal
God Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello everybody, I have just started playing with Eagle and I have some pretty basic questions to ask.
First, is what is your typical grid size in Eagle when you are editing one board, and what is the via size that you use, and also what trace width, for small signals like adc's inputs for an atmega328 or atmega8, and some digital outputs to an lcd and some leds?
After having my first board im tempted to try the SeeedStudio Fusion pcb service, and I don't know how to define my board size, is there some specific layer for that or some special trace?

Austin, TX
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

After having my first board im tempted to try the SeeedStudio Fusion pcb service, and I don't know how to define my board size, is there some specific layer for that or some special trace?

First, I do recommend SeeedStudio's Fusion.  Been happy each time I get boards back from them.  On the Fusion page, there is a link to Eagle DRC rules and CAM files.  Make sure you have those and run it often.  (If the DRC is loaded and you use Eagle's auto-router, the auto-router will automatically follow the design rules...)

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/datasheet/Fusion%20eagle.zip

There are calculators on web to help with trace width.  In general I have found even the smallest widths that services like SeeedStudio support are large enough for most hobby-electronics class projects.  Their minimum is 6mil, but I tend to use 8 or 10mil.  If I am routing large amounts of power and have space, I'll go to 12.  Similar with minimum spacing, even though they allow 6mil I bump the DRC up to 8 for extra margin.

When editing schematics in Eagle it is important not to change the grid size from 0.1in.  Otherwise, the editor will not detect connections properly.  

On PCBs, I tend to switch between inches and mils when I'm drawing traces.  I try to use multiples of 0.025inch.  I will generally set my "Alt" grid spacing 2-3 times more fine than the "Size" value.  (The "Alt" grid is enabled anytime you press the Alt-key.  So while placing a part or text label, you can get a finer grid.)

The dimension layer (20) is the best place to draw the outline of your board, and I think that is the default layer.  For text I use (21) tPlace and (22) bPlace for silk screening.

Before running the CAM processor, I like to turn off ALL the layers, except (19) Unrouted.  Sometimes it is hard to miss a connection you though you made.

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

I can recommend Seeedstudio as well. I used their service once. I did notice there was one board missing silk screen on the bottom right corner. Electrically I have not found any problem what so ever.

James, I'm saving your suggestions in a word document. Always good to know how real EE people do thing (you have EE background, right?)

Austin, TX
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

I have a BSEE, but my entire career has been in a sales role for test & measurement companies.  I worked as a design engineer for 3 months at a server company.  On the side I have done many electronics-related projects and started one hardware business, which I ended up selling.

So I was trained to be an engineer but I only play one at night. smiley-wink

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

Georgia, US
Arduino makes my head hurt :(
View Profile

That's kinda like me, I'm going to college for engineering, but it's only to help me out in my hobbies

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: