Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino on ATtiny - which core ? HLT, or Arduino-tiny or another?  (Read 1417 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Okay, I am getting back to Arduinos after a while, and I've programmed ATtiny's before, and I have used both High-Low Tech and Arduino-tiny and a smaller and even faster (claimed) library sometime back. Today when I checked, I found that there's been no development on Arduino-tiny since mid 2012, but HLT seems (perhaps) a bit more active. I'd be working mostly with the Attiny85's, I do have a good number of Attiny2313's which I could use. From what I understand, HLT doesn't support Attiny2313's, while Arduino-tiny does. Also, I remember some subtle differences between capabilities of the 2 approaches, with certain libraries working with one, but not the other - usage of Timer0 vs Timer1 etc.

If someone has the latest bearings on this, would appreciate if you could share the same, i.e. which one is recommended. I'd be using the timer and interrupts quite a bit, but need no PWM, and will be using only digital I/O for my list of projects.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 12:38:04 pm by falcon74 » Logged

View Profile

what method are you using to burn your chips?

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Until 2 weeks back, exclusively Arduino-as-ISP ...

Now I have more options, in form of 2 new dedicated programmers, thank to ebay:
1. USBasp based on ATmega8
2. USBtinyASP clone, based on ATtiny2313
Though, I'm yet to set up those 2.

View Profile

Until 2 weeks back, exclusively Arduino-as-ISP ...

Now I have more options, in form of 2 new dedicated programmers, thank to ebay:
1. USBasp based on ATmega8
2. USBtinyASP clone, based on ATtiny2313
Though, I'm yet to set up those 2.

Although your questions are not related to the programmer, I am using USBasp with no problems. After buying and using one these programmers, so cheap in Ebay, I cannot understand why we are wasting so much time in using the Arduino-as-ISP.

Denmark
Edison Member
Happy Hobbyist
View Profile

I cannot understand why we are wasting so much time in using the Arduino-as-ISP.

I can.
I have both a USBAsp and a Pololu programmer, but I am using Coding Badly's TinyISP.
It makes debugging so much easier, no more fiddling with wires and USB/Serial converters to get debugging information in the seriel monitor

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Bingo! @Erni's response is quite spot-on, about the reasons.

BTW (and off-topic), my problem with USBasp is that I find it hard/tedious to use it with breadboard circuits. I'm yet to find a good solution to connect a 10-pin ISP boxed-header to a breadboard, that is quick and hassle free.

Wahiawa, Hawaii
God Member
View Profile

I got a bunch of these https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8508 to breakout either the 6-pin or 10-pin ICSP headers to a breadboard.  They work great.  Unfortunately it looks like they currently are on backorder.

View Profile

I'm intrigued by the mention of a a third core, the main ones I know of are arduino-tiny and attiny (HLT)

They both seem pretty dead, although both work for me (arduino-tiny needs a patch to wiring.h).

I've been fighting with arduino-mk 0.10.5 from git today, only to find out its ATtiny support for ArduinoISP is not complete.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

They both seem pretty dead...

Really?  And here I am thinking I just restructured the Google Code site in preparation for publishing an update followed by publishing a minor update.  I must have dreamt those two hours of work.

I guess you get what you pay for.  And how much did you pay for access to that core?

arduino-tiny needs a patch to wiring.h

A patch that affects very few people, is trivial to apply, and is well documented.  The problem with applying it to the published core is that round is part of the Arduino API.  If I apply that patch folks who use round will be adversely affected.  I guess I could try implementing a mind-reading algorithm that automatically applies the patch when needed.

Wahiawa, Hawaii
God Member
View Profile

A fork of arduino-tiny for the ATtiny1634 has this patch in wiring.h

Code:
#if __AVR_LIBC_VERSION__ < 10701UL
#define round(x)     ((x)>=0?(long)((x)+0.5):(long)((x)-0.5))
#endif

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

A fork of arduino-tiny for the ATtiny1634 has this patch in wiring.h

Thanks.

After testing the round macro and the round function (WinAVR-20081205; the toolset that ships with the Arduino IDE) I can say confidently that neither the person who wrote the macro nor the person who wrote the Libc version check actually tested the macro.  The macro is inferior to the function.  I will remove the round macro from the Tiny Core this evening.

View Profile

Really?  And here I am thinking I just restructured the Google Code site in preparation for publishing an update followed by publishing a minor update.  I must have dreamt those two hours of work.

i honestly meant no offence by that comment, it seemed that the only commit was the first commit and there were 50 issues, so assumed it had been abandoned. I guess it was previously hosted elsewhere?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: