Go Down

Topic: CASIO calculator and Arduino; joining circuits of different Voltage (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

RonaldPoFo

Apr 20, 2013, 07:48 pm Last Edit: Apr 22, 2013, 12:29 am by RonaldPoFo Reason: 1
Hello!

I'm trying to hack a CASIO fx-85ES calculator:

I want to use the calculator as a keypad (arduino knows what button you pressed) and display (arduino "presses" a button), using an Arduino Pro Mini (5v).

buttons are pressed by connecting two contact points on the board:

for example: K07 + KI5 = "1" or K01 + KI2 = "4"
I only want to use the following keys: 0-9, +, -, x, :, =, and ")". total of 16 buttons

I plan to:
Connect points using transistors "press buttons". (is there a way the arduino can do this without transistors)
Use pins as input to read buttons pressed. (or more transistors?)

Note: I will only use calculator as INPUT OR OUTPUT never both at once.

Anything I forgot or suggestions? what do you think, could this work? :P

RonaldPoFo

Would I damage the arduino by feeding the contact points on the calculator to it as inputs?
Do I have to join GND like when wiring a Servo????  (1.5v cicuit of the calculator and 6v circuit of the arduino)

Runaway Pancake

It is not clear what you are asking.

You want to use the Arduino as a substitute for the keypad?
OK

And also to read the calculator's keypad (key strokes), when that is used?
"You gotta fight -- for your right -- to party!"
Don't react - Read.
"Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?"
Hey, it's "bipolar transistor" or "junction transistor" - "BJT" is just stupid.

RonaldPoFo

I WANT:
An arduino Pro Mini 5v to:
-Know when a button on the calculator is pressed.
-Press buttons on the calculator(buy connecting two connection points)

HOW?:
Know when a button is pressed by reading a change in voltage between connection points.
Use transistors to connect two connection points, transistor's base (B) to arduino.

MY PROBLEMS:
Will feeding a cable from the connection points on the calculator to the arduino damage the arduino? or even work?
Can I join two connection points on the calculator using the arduino, not transistors? ( the two connection points have to be wired one to another, NOT to GND or Vcc)

RonaldPoFo

What does this mean:
quad buffer/line driver with 3-state outputs controlled by
the output enable inputs
I tried goggling around but I don't see how it should help?

grendle

it means you can use this chip to have 2 different components that use different voltage talk to eachother, ie 3.3v to 5v. its a buffer between the 2.

RonaldPoFo

Would I damage the Arduino by feeding input and outputs to and from it without any isolation? (transistor, optocoupler)

grendle

RonaldPoFo

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy