Go Down

Topic: Duemilanove made in China (Read 9 times) previous topic - next topic

jeckson

seedsduino,freeduino is made in China also some of clone.They all made in China.

j

doublet

seedsduino,freeduino is made in China also some of clone.They all made in China.

1. The seeedduino is indeed made in China
2. Didn't find where the Freeduino is made
3. They are not 'all made in China'. The official boards are made in Italy. Much clones are made in the USA (Sparkfun and suchlike) or in Europe. It's not because it's cheap there everybody will produce there. There ethical people in this world.
4. This discussion isn't about where boards are produced. It's about som1 who claims to be the official manufacturer of the Arduino's (which is a serious offence, since the boards are protected by a copyright). It's like I would fake Coca-cola. That has been done. But wait, I produce fake Coca-cola bottled in bottles with 'Official Coca-cola' on it. That's not legal, you may fake it (kind of) but not use there name. That's what the 'r' ('registered') or 'c' ('copyrighted') in a little circle or 'TM' ('Trade mark') stands for.
But now about the Arduino. You MAY make your own boards. Schematics, layout, print, .... are all available for free. That's called open-source. As a reciprocate, you have to send improvements when you make some, and provide schematics if you make your own clone. You may sell boards you produced (called 'clones') but with another name name (freeduino, seeedduino, ...). When you see a board with 'Arduino (TM)' on it, it was either manufactured by the Arduino guys and sold to that shop, or it was ILLEGALLY produced by some stupid guy.
Sorry God members, I'm an atheist.

westfw

Much clones are made in the USA (Sparkfun and suchlike)

As far as I know, Sparkfun (and also the NKC Freeduino) has at least their PCBs manufactured in China, while the official Arduinos make a pretty big deal about the whole thing being manufactured in Italy.

Which is not at all the same thing as claiming/implying that official production of the Duemilanove has been moved to (my factory in) China and that's where you should be buying them from if you want that version...

Imahilus

That's what the 'r' ('registered') or 'c' ('copyrighted') in a little circle or 'TM' ('Trade mark') stands for.

For clarities sake...
(r) = trademarked [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark ]
(c) = copyrighted [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright ]

Trademarking basically means you hold exclusive rights to use the name.
Copyright basically means you hold exclusive rights to create duplicates of the product (this by no means that the arduino team doesn't hold copyright on the arduino designs and such, they extend the privileges onto everybody through an open-source license. This is an important distinction for businesses).

GJN

Why not call it a Sinoduino?

Go Up