Go Down

Topic: Clamp Comparator Output for Analog/Digital Input Pin (Read 824 times) previous topic - next topic

rickso234

I have an opamp as a comparator whose output I want to read with a digital or analog input pin and trigger an action when the comparator output goes high and a different action when low. Currently using +9v/-9v supplies for the opamp and want the comparator output to be compatible with the analog/digital pin (0 - 5v). A 5.1v zener from the comparator output to Gnd clamps the high output to around 5.1v but the low level is -0.7v. Is this -0.7v bad for an analog/digital input and how could I better the circuit to more accurately yield 0-5v comparator output for the analog/digital input?

cjdelphi

Use a diode to only allow a + voltage through (via the anode)

you should read 0v out then.

Docedison

.7 volts negative isn't enough to worry about but If you are really concerned use a 1K series resistor as a current limiter.

Doc
--> WA7EMS <--
"The solution of every problem is another problem." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

rickso234

By "in series" I assume you mean with the comparator output into the digital input.

I found (and have a few) comparators with TTL outputs which should work.

cjdelphi

rickso234

cjdelphi

"but the low level is -0.7v. Is this -0.7v bad for an analog/digital input and how could I better the circuit to more accurately yield 0-5v comparator output for the analog/digital input?"

How did you get a -0.7v reading? Where?... well, the same place you take a reading, place a Diode in series there, you should now have a 0v reading there....  is there a circuit here?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy