Go Down

Topic: I2C external MAG Sensor blocks all other I2C Sensors - MAG broken oder I2C Port? (Read 452 times) previous topic - next topic

Hello guys.
My name is Sandro and i build Multicopters.

Currently i have a huge Problem with an external MAG I2C Sensor.

So i have a Arduino Mega based Flightcontrol - http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=765&productname=

Sensors:
MPU6050 6-axis gyro/accel with Motion Processing Unit
HMC5883L 3-axis digital magnetometer
MS5611-01BA03 - Barometer

Also this Board has an external I2C Port (Gnd, 5V, SDA, SCL)

Since i experienced problems with the internal Mag (High Voltage, magnetism ...) i wanted to remove the internal mag and put the exact same I2C Mag Sensor (HMC5883L) on the external I2C Port.
Some other owners did it before with success.

So i bought the excact same MAG Sensor on BoB: www.ebay.de/itm/HMC5883L-3-Axis-Compass-Magnetometer-Breakout-Board-/280863037681
I soldered all 4 wires to the right position, i am very sure about that i checked it 10 times.

I fully removed the internal MAG from my board using a scalpel and after that the board worked fine.
I tested the board, i went out for a flight, everything was great - just without MAG.
Then i connected the external MAG to the I2C port and  suddenly all I2C sensors stopped working.

Since i know that those kind of issues need as many informations as possible i flashed an I2C Scanner to my Arduino Board.
When i removed the external Mag - The I2C Scanner found 2 I2C Sensors: 0x77 and 0x68 (So MPU and Baro)

But when i connect the external Mag to the I2C Port and start the I2C Scanner - there is no output at all so the whole I2C stops working.

So my Question is: Is the Mag BoB broken or my external I2C Port? Or did i forget something?
Is it even possible that a broken I2C BoB forces the whole I2C to collapse?

I hope you can help me.

Greetings from Germany
Sandro

Solved using another MAG - The bob is broken or creates an electrical short

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy