Go Down

Topic: Advice for building a laser receiver grid (Read 773 times) previous topic - next topic

j8s0n

I want to build a grid 20cm x 20cm (8in x 8in) that detects laser hits from one of these. It appears to be a simple IR/red laser.

I'd like the grid to be able to indicate where the hit was (row and column), if possible. Mainly I want to use it for timing. The receivers Laser Lyte sells for use with the emitters indicate a hit, but not how long it took (and the receivers appear to be pretty small as well).

My first thought was to create a 2D array of phototransistors, but I'd probably need to space them every 5mm or so, which would mean 1600 transistors, which would be nearly 1000USD.

Is there a better way to build this?

Alternatively, I suppose, I could buy their receiver and tap into the signals that indicate start and a hit, amplify them, and feed them to the arduino to calculate and display the time.

Magician

Use a camera, there is a project:
http://coolarduino.wordpress.com/2011/12/07/arduino-laser-3d-tracking-range-finder/
and
http://coolarduino.wordpress.com/2012/07/28/visual-navigator-making-it-mobile/

resolution 500x 800 , but vision field of  camera has to be adjusted to target size by lens or accurate close installation. Speed 1/60 sec, so 100 msec flash should be reliable registered  in 5-6 consecutive frames.

macegr

So...what is this "time it took" you intend to measure? I hope you're not trying to measure time-of-flight of a laser pulse with an Arduino.
Unique RGB LED Modules and Arduino shields: http://www.macetech.com/store

j8s0n

So...what is this "time it took" you intend to measure? I hope you're not trying to measure time-of-flight of a laser pulse with an Arduino.

Sorry, I guess that part was a bit vague. I want to light an LED or buzz a buzzer, then start the timer. I'll stop the timer when the laser hits the target. I'm trying to measure (and improve) the time it takes to draw from a holster, acquire a target, and fire. And lasers are a lot cheaper than live ammo these days.

AWOL

I remember seeing a "live" firearms trainer at a trade show, where the shock and light of the firing of a blank round triggered a laser fitted in the pistol's barrel.
The "players" (law enforcement) wore vests woven with a broad mesh of notched optical fibre, forming the optical equivalent of a leaky feeder.
Photodiodes were attached only at the ends of a run of fibre, giving the controller an x-y position of a hit.
I don't imagine getting the notches right was easy though.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

TanHadron

Could you use a plate of plexiglass, with X and Y photodiodes at the edges?

Chagrin

Could you use a plate of plexiglass, with X and Y photodiodes at the edges?

Phototransistors, but yeah I was wondering the same thing. The signal might not be variable enough across the face of the plexiglass to get a good distance measurement but maybe you could cut grooves into the face to improve that. Worth experimenting with, anyway.

j8s0n

I'm going to try Magician's advice: point a camera at the target (I didn't realize I can get an arduino-able camera for $30), buzz & start the timer, poll the camera until I see a big red spot, stop the timer, and display the time and image on a TFT display.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy