Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: THT USB3 Plug search  (Read 1781 times)
Mid-Atlantic, USA
God Member
"Remember kids, the only difference between Science and screwing around is writing it down." - Adam Savage
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

For a side project of mine I'd like to expand it's capabilities to handle all the signals of USB3. Because I want to kit this up for others I'd like to keep all the parts THT. I have been able to locate THT USB3 receptacles, but can only find SMT USB3 plugs. If anyone else has come across a THT USB3 plug, would you please share MFG name and number (a vendor source would be a bonus). Thanx.

I've searched on the big 3 vendors, Octopart, and a few other smaller vendors that I know about. I've tried looking through some manufacturer sites (Molex, Tyco, Assmann, etc), but they aren't all very easy to search on. I don't expect to find one, so this is just a Hail Mary pass.  smiley-sad-blue

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/FCI/10117835-001LF/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMulM8LPOQ%252byk17wDSLJ1N2kqtjjkbLtnpA%3d

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Amphenol-Commercial-Products/GSB311131HR/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMulM8LPOQ%252byk5g9QyPeb3wIQLaNf0zR2qM%3d

...15 more...

http://www.mouser.com/Connectors/USB-Connectors/_/N-88hmf?P=1yzv4kqZ1z0z63x

Mid-Atlantic, USA
God Member
"Remember kids, the only difference between Science and screwing around is writing it down." - Adam Savage
View Profile

That's a receptacle (female). I've found theses, but what I was asking about is a plug (male).

Another receptacle...

Most of these are the wrong gender... So if I further select gender to male of this parametric list I get 3 results:

* The first, a Kycon part. I don't know why it is marked as male in the online catalog... The description has "SCKT" (presumably meaning socket), and the data sheet clearly shows the female/receptacle/socket part, not the male/plug part. I should probably alert Mouser of the error.

* The second, an Adam Tech (never heard of these guys) part. Must be a brand new part on the market. Especially since mouser has them marked as new and 8wk factory lead time, and minimum qty of 1000. I should probably add to my spec the maximum "minimum order" should be like 5 or 10... Hmm, looking further, that part number doesn't even show in the catalog linked as the datasheet. Must be brand-spanking-new.

* The third, I'm sorry. I didn't specify clearly enough. I didn't say that I'm looking for a Type A plug. But it's an obsolete part anyway.

Thanx for finding the second one though. I had actually given up hope a few months ago, and had the opportunity again to incorporate USB3 again (due to a pre-release board change due to another component's inventory issues). So, instead of searching and trying to find something I didn't expect to (much like slamming my self against a door, while not expecting the door to open), I asked here where I figured there is a broad scope of people who have collectively experienced the vast majority of what electronic components are out there. Now that I have a glimmer of hope of a crack showing in the availability door, I'm off to fling myself at it again.

Mid-Atlantic, USA
God Member
View Profile

* The second, an Adam Tech (never heard of these guys) part. Must be a brand new part on the market. Especially since mouser has them marked as new and 8wk factory lead time, and minimum qty of 1000. I should probably add to my spec the maximum "minimum order" should be like 5 or 10... Hmm, looking further, that part number doesn't even show in the catalog linked as the datasheet. Must be brand-spanking-new.

Nope.. nope... nope... Just found it in the catalog. It's cable mount, I want PC mount. Frustration ensues.  smiley-cry

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

That's a receptacle (female). I've found theses, but what I was asking about is a plug (male).

Sorry about that.

Why do you want a male PCB connector?  Aren't the male connectors typically put on the patch cables?

Mid-Atlantic, USA
God Member
View Profile

It's for a breakout/pass through board. Basically a cleaner and less troublesome way to access the wires of a USB cable instead of cutting a cable. The markings on the board also act as reference. I don't expect much demand.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Have you tried contacting any manufacturers?

Mid-Atlantic, USA
God Member
View Profile

Have you tried contacting any manufacturers?

I've thought about that, but don't know if it is worth my time to bother them for only a few dozen (if that) pieces.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: