Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Why would anyone make such a crippled IDE!?!?!  (Read 2862 times)
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
I learn a bit every time I visit the forum.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

How many files should a library need for programs to fit and run on a freaking MCU?

Honestly, some people just can't search:

http://www.arduinodev.com/codeblocks/

CodeBlocks Arduino IDE is a customized distribution of the open-source Code::Blocks IDE enhanced for Arduino development. It provides more demanding software developers with everything a modern IDE should have including code foldering, code completion, code navgiation, compiling as well as uploading for Arduino. With a dedicated project wizard, it’s easy create a ready-to-go Arduino project. The distribution integrates latest Arduino core files, standard Arduino libraries, AVR toolchain, Arduino Builder, a serial terminal and most interesting, an API-level Arduino simulator (under development).

Features:

dedicated project wizard for Arduino development
    integrated Arduino core files and libraries
    compiled core files cached for faster compiling speed (comparing to original Arduino IDE)
    integrated pre-configured AVR compiler toolchain
    popular Arduino boards supported as build targets
    uploading HEX to Arduino boards (Leonardo supported) by running the built target
    Arduino API-level simulator (very early stage) integrated (as a build target)

I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

Maine
Caution: Explosives in use.
View Profile

How many files should a library need for programs to fit and run on a freaking MCU?

Honestly, some people just can't search:

http://www.arduinodev.com/codeblocks/

WOW. Something useful actually came out of this thread. That IDE looks interesting, i'll have to check it out.

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."

Electronic props for Airsoft, paintball, and laser tag -> www.nightscapetech.com

Australia
Power up to your potential
View Profile

Adrian, yes libraries can be very difficult. Here is a link to our Simulator for Arduino http://www.virtronics.com.au/Simulator-for-Arduino.html

With libraries, we have a subfolder call Libraries where there are some sample libraries. There is also the AVR folder as a subfolder since there are many AVR/file.h includes. On the forum, someone recently asked for the <AVR/wdt.h> library to use the wdt_enable() function. This one header file imports another half dozen header f

Australia
Power up to your potential
View Profile

Adrian, yes libraries can be very difficult. Here is a link to our Simulator for Arduino http://www.virtronics.com.au/Simulator-for-Arduino.html

In the Simulator, with libraries, we have a subfolder call Libraries where there are some sample libraries. There is also the AVR folder copied as a subfolder since there are AVR/file.h includes are very common. On the forum, someone recently asked for the <AVR/wdt.h> library to use the wdt_enable() function. This one header file imports another half dozen header files and the wdt_enable() function is actually a ten line macro.

Apart from the library issue, how do you find the Codeblocks IDE? The Simulator seemed a bit limited but very functional for what was there.

With the Arduino IDE, the run as Administrator can be annoying (ie crashes unless run as an administrator) and can be very slow on an old computer. Looking forward to the official 1.5 release which will have all Arduino boards including the Due which is really good.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

Frankly speaking, I don't like the Arduino IDE for similar reasons. I am just using it since it is simple. If you are developing mainly the physical computing with sensors, Arduino IDE may be all you need since you will focus on hardware and just use a few lines of code to make hardware work with each other. Last year I made a smart track that can tell where the cart is on the track, using 3 force gauges. The hardware aspect took most of my time and some intro physics problem solving. But the software side could seriously be done in 5 lines of code, sense force gauges 1,2,3, performing calculation for position x, print to serial. If you are developing mainly the software aspect, say writing classes and libraries, you are better off with other IDEs. But have in mind that your library users WILL use Arduino IDE so make sure you have the extra stuff. I've tried to set up an Arduino emulator with dev C++ IDE, which uses gcc. It was hard work and I forget how to set it up easily. I was able to set up my interactive menu library and LCD on it. It's nice to have memory faults and break points on a PC. If you are not coding for Arduino extensively or professionally, save your time.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: