Go Down

Topic: Board humming sound when sharing power source with solenoid (Read 75 times) previous topic - next topic

crullier

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to get some feedback and understand a little better what is causing my Leonardo board to make a humming sound after a solenoid is actuated via a relay from a digital pin. The only way to make the sound go away is to power everything down. The sound comes back as soon as the solenoid is actuated again. I even to say that the board may seem to get a little warmer?

This happens only when I am powering the arduino from the same power source I am powering the solenoid. The solenoid shares the same ground as the arduino as well as 12v.

However if I power the arduino via USB or another power source, the humming sound never happens and everything works as expected.

ideally I would prefer not to have to run two power sources but would like to understand what could be happening and if I will eventually burn my board.

Thank you

robtillaart

The Arduino cannot directly drive a relay, use a resistor - power transistor

google images: arduino relay 

to get a schema how its done.

Relay and solenoid should have a separate power supply , GND's connected !
Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

crullier

Thanks for the input. I'm driving the relay via a  board made to work w the arduino so I don't think that is problem.

In the code I did have to set the pinmode to output to get enough current to drive the board which from what I understand is the correct thing to do.

You mention that the relay and solenoid needs it's own power source and cannot be shared w the arduino. Can you please explain why? What is causing the buzzing?

I want to understand what the problem is so I can learn a little more.

Thank you in advance.

crullier

I wanted to add that I am using a 13v 20 amp power supply.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy