Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Which to buy? Arduino vs. Sainsmart  (Read 13937 times)
Kansas
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi all. I'm new to the programming world, and need to know if there is a difference between the Arduino Uno and Sainsmart Uno. I came across both, and the Sainsmart seems to be cheaper in most places. So I'm wondering if Sainsmart is the same as Arduino, or if it is a knockoff. Thanks in advance for any help.

Kansas
View Profile

I guess another good question to ask would be if the Uno is a good choice for a beginner programmer.

Note: I have no prior experience with programming, or anything to do with this sort of stuff, so sorry if I seem a bit ignorant on some level  smiley-lol

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Welcome!

Arduino. There have been complaints about the Sainsmart products. Arduino's are available in the US,
at RadioShack even.  Mouser.com also carries them, not far to ship (Texas) to you. $4.99 residential delivery.  Good prices on replacement chips when you smoke one.
http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=arduino
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Atmel/ATMEGA328P-PU/?qs=%2fha2pyFadujcrAcowhVCzj0vtgCenYitTBfrdeSNJnmn1EI7EVhhFw%3d%3d

Sainsmart: "The biggest warehouse is in China, where most of the products are shipped from."
So that's not going to be fast.

The IDE is a good choice for a beginner programmer. Work thru the tutorials in the Learning section of the website, poke around in the Playground.

www.dipmicro.com (NIagara Falls, Canada, but ships quickly via USPS)
and www.taydaelectronics.com (Bangkok, Thailand, but ships locally from Colorado pretty quick too)
are good sources for thruhole components, not so many choices presented that one feels totally overwhelmed by what's available.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Kansas
View Profile

Ok, great! That's exactly what I needed to hear. So IDE is just the software then?

Wahiawa, Hawaii
God Member
View Profile

Two other great sites to check out:

http://www.adafruit.com/

https://www.sparkfun.com/

Kansas
View Profile

Would you recommend buying off of ebay? I've seen some good starter kits on there for a decent price.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

The last time I checked (earlier this week) Sainsmart was selling a counterfeit board (they claim it to be a genuine Arduino when it is not).  I tend to avoid vendors that knowingly and deliberately lie.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Would you recommend buying off of ebay?

Most folks who buy Arduino compatible boards from ebay seem to be pleased with the outcome.

Please do not buy a board from ebay that displays the Arduino logo or is represented as a genuine Arduino.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

I rarely buy anything from ebay. I don't like 3+week delivery times. Will pay a little more and purchase from a known supplier with a known support.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

Arduino original board is so expensive. I want to purchase one from ebay because the price is much lower. However as the guy above said it must be fake. I bet it must came from China which is the biggest manufacturing country in the world. Then i prefer to choose one with brand even if it came from China for the good price and support.

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

Arduino original board is so expensive. I want to purchase one from ebay because the price is much lower. However as the guy above said it must be fake. I bet it must came from China which is the biggest manufacturing country in the world. Then i prefer to choose one with brand even if it came from China for the good price and support.

Arduino boards are good deals. Consider also the huge amount of effort that goes into developing and supporting the IDE, this forum, etc. etc. There are also good quality clones available from numerous reputable vendors (Adafruit, Evil Mad Science, PJRC, Modern Device to name just a few).

For the person just getting into microcontrollers, buying the original and supporting the Arduino organization is pretty much a no-brainer. The last thing I'd want when learning is to question whether a problem is mine or is the fault of some hardware of questionable origin.

Once some experience is gained, the Arduino Pro and Pro Mini ($15 and $10 from Sparkfun) are good values, or design your own custom boards. Let us know what it costs you to do that, and don't forget to factor in your time!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 07:39:56 am by Jack Christensen » Logged

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

View Profile

Buying a true Arduino does help continue development of the line. Having said that, I have noticed lately that Sain is selling its clones through Amazon, which handles fulfillment -- an important point, as that means Amazon stocks it in their own warehouses and ships it out with quick turnaround. The photo in the listing for their MEGA 2560 clone, found here: http://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-MEGA-2560-Board-Arduino/dp/B00761NDCI/ref=pd_sim_pc_2 shows that they use their own brand name and not Arduino.

PJRC and their Teensy line are good, but they are not form-factor compatible. They are much smaller like the Nano.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

...shows that they use their own brand name and not Arduino.

You are supporting a company that sells a counterfeit board (not the one you referenced).  They know it is counterfeit.  Every few months, using extremely deceptive techniques, they try to use this forum to advertise.  As far as I'm concerned, they are leaches.

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

a company that sells a counterfeit board

That being Sain, Amazon, or both?

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Sain.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Jump to: