Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Flying with Arduino  (Read 2539 times)
Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

It seems like a laptop computer and an Arduino board would be a great way to pass the time on long flights, as long as it doesn't attract the wrong kind of attention. I was wondering whether anyone has tried this.

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

It seems like a laptop computer and an Arduino board would be a great way to pass the time on long flights, as long as it doesn't attract the wrong kind of attention. I was wondering whether anyone has tried this.

Laptop, fine. Attached to an arduino with lots of wires sticking up all over, LOL. Air Marshal to the rescue.

Lefty

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

Laptop, fine. Attached to an arduino with lots of wires sticking up all over, LOL. Air Marshal to the rescue.

Lefty

Yeah I know, I was just thinking a USB cable though. Seems like someone made one that plugged directly into a USB port, wouldn't look much different than a flash drive.

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
I learn a bit every time I visit the forum.
View Profile

I could see the TSA trying to decide if a USB Switchblade (hackers tool) is a threat or not, and by extension what kind of plot you can be charged with. Remember, the bigger the bust, the bigger the bonus! Maybe someone will visit or send you cigarettes to use as prison money while the courts figure out just how dangerous you are.

I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

Maine
Caution: Explosives in use.
View Profile

Lefty

Yeah, god help you if they find out its linked to "hackerspaces". They'd probably just shoot you and push you out the emergency exit.

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."

Electronic props for Airsoft, paintball, and laser tag -> www.nightscapetech.com

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

All righty, sounds like we have a consensus. I think I'll start a petition on petitions.whitehouse.gov to allow microcontroller boards on airliners as long as they are 2.36 inches or shorter.

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

I'm surprised they let laptops on board at all.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

You might try a leostick
http://www.freetronics.com/collections/arduino/products/leostick
or an R2Duino
http://www.public-art-international.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/219/language/en

Or just a regular Arduino with a short cable.  Probably less conspicuous if it was in an enclosure.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

In other countries, banks have posted armed guards posted by their entrance. These guards are loaded with sidearms, shotguns or M16 rifles.
You don't f*ck with them.

Well, me and my officemate were going to a client's site but she decided to stop by the bank to do some personal business first.

Before entering the bank, the guards try to feel my gym bag's content with their hands.
Sure enough, they felt something heavy and bulky. Asked me to open the bag.
I opened up the bag's zipper for inspection by the guards, so they can peek in.
The guard saw something and he pulled out this metal cylindrical thing, with lots of wires sticking out. (I was carrying several stepper motors.)

DANG! Some guards were ready to draw their guns! It surely got their attention!
"What's this?" he asked.
"It's a motor" I said nonchalantly.
They recognized my friend so they waved us in.

But they were very wary of me.

So I'm sitting on the sofa in this big lobby, while my friend conducts her business by the teller.

I see 2 guards with shotguns walking around the 2nd-floor balcony, overlooking the lobby, keeping an eye on me.
Another 2 guards by the door looking my way, and the 2 guards outside the bank peering in the glass doors also keeping an eye on me.
Another guard is walking/standing by my vicinity, maybe 30ft away.
They were really observing me.

Never again will I bring stepper motors inside that bank! 

Rural Arizona
Edison Member
Incorrigible tinkerer
View Profile

I think I'll start a petition on petitions.whitehouse.gov to allow microcontroller boards on airliners as long as they are 2.36 inches or shorter.
Don't forget that I/O boards have to be limited to 10 pins.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Why? Where is that limit from?

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Dallas, TX
View Profile

I think I'll start a petition on petitions.whitehouse.gov to allow microcontroller boards on airliners as long as they are 2.36 inches or shorter.
Don't forget that I/O boards have to be limited to 10 pins.

Why? Where is that limit from?

In your state, a "large capacity feeding device". Unless you have the proper "license to carry".  smiley

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

Still can have your Big Gulp so it's not all large capacity feeding devices.

Maine
Caution: Explosives in use.
View Profile

Still can have your Big Gulp so it's not all large capacity feeding devices.

Wouldn't that exceed the 3oz fluid limit for carry-on baggage?

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."

Electronic props for Airsoft, paintball, and laser tag -> www.nightscapetech.com

Central Indiana, USA
So many projects, so little time...and money!
View Profile

@Crossroads

The limit is a spoof on the 10 round limit to magazines in guns.  NY state just passed a law limiting guns to magazines of less than 10 rounds.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Jump to: