Go Down

Topic: Lighting 8-12v RGB led with arduino (Read 700 times) previous topic - next topic

Pancra85

no, wait, now I have another question.

as I explained:
And I noticed that the RGB leds have a common anode (positive) and 3 different catodes (negative), so how can I connect two of these leds to 12v and the other to 6-8v if they have the same anode?

Could I connect positive to 12v and then connect negative of Green and Blue to 0v (ground) and Red to 6v? is this correct? I'm thinking I will have 12v-6v=6v on Red led. Is that correct?
Thanks again!

Chagrin

This particular LED is only common anode because you haven't cut off the metal tab that connects the three anodes together.

Could I connect positive to 12v and then connect negative of Green and Blue to 0v (ground) and Red to 6v? is this correct? I'm thinking I will have 12v-6v=6v on Red led. Is that correct?

That's theoretically correct but, again, it's not appropriate to drive LEDs without current limiting. The best solution is a constant-current LED driver.

Pancra85

That's theoretically correct but, again, it's not appropriate to drive LEDs without current limiting. The best solution is a constant-current LED driver.

yes! I plan to build this: http://www.tbideas.com/blog/build-an-arduino-shield-to-drive-high-power-rgb-led/
I was refering on Vcc and GND of that circuit! Sorry.

Thanks! I am good to go I think...

Go Up