Go Down

Topic: Hobby king receiver stopped functioning after upgrades on RC Mower with arduino (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Robin2

I'm still missing something ...

I have recently successfully programmed an Arduino to generate PPM to pretend it is a 7-channel transmitter so I have a little knowledge of the process (but only a little).

So are you saying that the receiver or transmitter has failed and the Arduino part is working properly? I had the impression from your previous post that the Arduino was getting something from the receiver.

In your original post you said " though it is still linking to the transmitter and also putting out something on the PPM out." What is that something?

Have you any way (such as another Arduino) to simulate the output from the receiver?

...R

allanonmage

So are you saying that the receiver or transmitter has failed and the Arduino part is working properly?

Yes, that's what I am thinking.  I suspect the receiver because I had to double ground it (arduino AND sabertooth) to keep the receiver and maybe the arduino from freaking out since the receiver is connected to the arduino and the sabertooth.  I suspect that the double grounding it was only a temporary fix.

In your original post you said " though it is still linking to the transmitter and also putting out something on the PPM out." What is that something?

"That something" is the link between the transmitter and the receiver.  When I turn on the transmitter, an LED comes on on the receiver.  The receiver also sends out some data on the PPM out and the arduino reads it and determines that the transmitter and receiver are online.  The fact that there is an active link, I use that information to control some of the relays.  If it's a first power on, that's a special scenario and the arduino behaves differently (does not time out and change the relays).  The arduino is behaving as if it's a first power on and then it's not receiving anything else.  That means either the transmitter is not transmitting, or the receiver is not passing PPM to the arduino.  I also know, that in this case, the receiver is also not passing PWM to the sabertooth.  The receiver has 2 strikes against it.  the transmitter is also suspect because it was behaving oddly when I attempted to change some of the programming prior to all of this.

Someone on another board suggested using a servo on the PWM out, so I'll try that, though I suspect that will show the same thing as the sabertooth.

Have you any way (such as another Arduino) to simulate the output from the receiver?

I have other arduinos, but I wouldn't know where to start mocking that up.  I have another arduino uno (2 actually), and an arduino Mega ADK I could feasibly use.

I have access to a wi-spy... that should help me know if the transmitter is transmitting or not.

Robin2

The attached file contains the sketch I have written to generate a 7-channel ppm signal for input to a 2.4GHz R/C transmitter. It generates the PPM signal on pin 7 and varies the pulse width for channel 1 depending on the setting of a potentiometer with the centre connection on pin A2.

Basically there is an array of data which represents counts for Timer1 and each value is used in turn. Each interrupt toggles Pin 7 and sets up the count value for the next pulse.

It should work perfectly well if you modify it to ignore the potentiometer and you could try some options by hard-coding pulse widths in the array - just for testing.

...R

123Splat

Little late for a reply, but.....
On the T6A's the red led means that the reciever is powered, not bound and recv'ng signals.
To test the transmitter/receiver binding, power the receiver with 5-6 VDC, hook up a servo to one channel, and turn on the transmitter, move the stick controlling the channel and see if the servo moves.
If so, move the servo to another channel and restart the test. If all six channel work, your good.  If not, try another receiver, it's cheaper.  You said that you tried to reprogram the xmittr, so it is also suspect.  Earlier, you said reprog of xmittr was successfull.  A straight story would make diagnosis much easier.

allanonmage

I found out 2 days ago I missed a step in troubleshooting...

One of the wires to the sabertooth had broken. D'oh! I never did test with a servo though.

About the transmitter: the attempted reprogram seemed successful and was for a period of time. However I had probems with it, so that's why I initially suspected the transmitter.

The red light on the receiver does not immediatley turn on when I power it, it only turns on when the transmitter turns on.  It subsequently turns off when the transmitter turns off.  Are there different models with different behavior?

Thanks for the replies guys!

Go Up