Go Down

Topic: General book to learn Electronics from zero? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

vices

Hi all,

I'm new to Arduino and Electronics. I find very easy to figure out the programming aspect of Arduino but very hard to do the physical part(electronics) of it.

I've bought a Book called "Make: Electronics (Learning by Discovery)", http://www.amazon.com/Make-Electronics-Discovery-Charles-Platt/dp/0596153740

In this book I think the theoretical/calculus aspect of Electronics in this book is not deep enough. What book/books can I use that give me an introduction to Electronics with strong theoretical/calculus support?

Best Regards,  

MarkT

I would possibly look to some of the online university courses for that sort of treatment - such
as the MIT one: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-002-circuits-and-electronics-spring-2007/index.htm

Most introductory texts below university level will specifically exclude calculus or Maxwell's equations
I suspect.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

BulletMagnet83

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Forrest-Mims-Engineers-Notebook/dp/1878707035

I used to have a bunch of books by this author. Definitely worth a look :)

James C4S

What book/books can I use that give me an introduction to Electronics with strong theoretical/calculus support?

Textbooks.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

AWOL

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

MarkT

Horowitz and Hill

Brilliant though H&H is, they avoid mathematical treatment where possible!

[ for those not in the know, "The Art of Electronics", Horrowitz & Hill - there are at least two editions, emphasis
on analog electronics and precision signal processing / scientific applications ]
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

outofoptions

I don't know your level but if you want something calculus based be aware that such an electronics book may well skip over basic electricity/circuit theory assuming you already know that part.  When I took classes some years ago those were split into two separate courses.

neema_t

What kind of electronics; analogue, digital? I have been given a load of textbooks as part of the course I'm on (BTEC level 3, kind of what we'd do before going to university (this in the UK, so I guess in the States it would be known as college? A BEng., anyway)) but I have to run now so I can't post the names and ISBNs. They're pretty useful but a few are out of print and hard to find.

If you can find Forrest M. Mims III's "Engineer's Mini Notebook", you should be able to download that for free (legally). I personally haven't looked at it yet but it seems like a handy resource, particularly for analogue electronics; I've heard there are a lot of op amp example circuits in there like integrator and differentiator circuits... That's calculus, right?!

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy