Go Down

Topic: having trouble with 4 pcf8574 i2c (Read 418 times) previous topic - next topic

carbondudeoxide

hello, i have designed an arduino powered nixie tube clock and it worked fine on the breadboard version but now that i have had the board produced and i have finished soldering it together i ran a i2c scanner to make sure that all 5 chips were detected on the i2c bus and all five were: 0x38, 0x39, 0x3A and 0x3B are the pcf8574 and 0x68 is my time keeping ic so it has detected all of the i2c bus.

during the programming stage i have a normal arduino with 4 jump leads from 5v,GND,A4,A5 jumping to my built circuit board as my design has a stand alone arduino but no usb host to program kit on s i ahve to program it on an ordinary arduino then transfer the chip once it is working.

the problem is when i am trying to write to the port expanders in order to control the tubes and no mater what i put into the port expanders over the i2c bus all the outputs are on. i have tried numerous times to get this working but it does not seam to want to work...

the ode that i currently have is design to display 4 sets of the same random number on all of the tubes.

(each port expander has 8 outputs 4 of which go to one nixie driver and the other 4 go to a second nixie driver and they act as BCD lines which is how i control them.

here is my code:
Code: [Select]
#include <Time.h>
#include <Wire.h>

void setup() {
  Wire.begin();
  Serial.begin(9600);
  //setTime(0,0,0,1,1,2013);
}

void loop() {

delay(1000);

int hou = random(0, 99);
      int i = hou/10;
      int j = hou-i*10;
      int displaynum = (i*16);
      displaynum = displaynum + j;
      int expanderWriteHour(byte(displaynum));
      int expanderWriteMin(byte(displaynum));
      int expanderWriteSec(byte(displaynum));
      int expanderWriteMSec(byte(displaynum));
      Serial.println(displaynum);
}

void expanderWriteHour(byte _data ) {
  Wire.beginTransmission(0x38);
  Wire.write(_data);
  Wire.endTransmission();
}
void expanderWriteMin(byte _data ) {
  Wire.beginTransmission(0x39);
  Wire.write(_data);
  Wire.endTransmission();
}
void expanderWriteSec(byte _data ) {
  Wire.beginTransmission(0x3A);
  Wire.write(_data);
  Wire.endTransmission();
}
void expanderWriteMSec(byte _data ) {
  Wire.beginTransmission(0x3B);
  Wire.write(_data);
  Wire.endTransmission();
}

and this is the schematic:

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy