Go Down

Topic: I2C or USB PCAP touch sensor output - help! (Read 671 times) previous topic - next topic

type11969

Greetings. I am working on a demo for a client which includes a small projected capacitive touch sensor. I purchased the sensor with the understanding that it was a plug and play device with a windows environment - in other words my laptop tethered to the demo (running the demo) would see the sensor basically as a mouse. As it ends up, the sensor is not plug and play. The output of the sensor is I2C, and it does come with a small hardware device that converts the I2C output to USB, but the only (current) way to interface with the output via this USB line is by using the sensor manufacturer's software.

So, basically, I am in a really tough spot because the demo deadline is in about two weeks. What I am wondering is if I can use an Arduino to read either the I2C data or the USB data (X/Y coordinates of the touch), and feed that data in to my laptop via a serial stream over USB. I can then use the software running on the laptop to interpret that data. Keep in mind that I will only be looking for finger touches, I do not need to be running fast enough to enable the user to draw on the screen with their finger, etc.

What I am hoping this forum can help answer is the following:

1) Which would be easier to intercept/translate, data directly from the sensor (I2C) or data coming out of the manufacturer's I2C to USB conversion device? I know this is tough to answer, but best guesses are appreciated.

2) What good websites, books, etc are available that will help me do the above?

3) Am I crazy to think that this is possible in the timeframe, considering that I am a fairly novice Arduino user/programmer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also, if this should be in another, please let me know.

-Chris

Headroom

A link to the data sheet for the capacitive touch sensor would help ;-)
http://trippylighting.com

http://ledshield.wordpress.com/

type11969

Sorry, should have included these. I see what registers need to be accessed using I2C to read the X and Y coordinates of the user touch points, but I don't know how difficult it will be to read these registers using an Arduino. Any guidance will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Go Up