Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: simultaneous midi message sent to arduino are lost  (Read 1651 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm using the following code to convert midi CCs to DMX commands.  it works until I send 2 CC messages at the exact same time and then nothing happens at the output.   I have used callbacks and observed the same behavior.  I have reduced my code to the bare minimum and still seeing the issue. 

I've had the same issue when controlling digital RGB strips via SPI as I am having with DMX, so I don't think it is the DMX library.  Any thoughts??  thx smiley

Code:
#include <MIDI.h>
#include <DmxMaster.h>

void setup()
{
  MIDI.begin();            // Launch MIDI with default options // (input channel is default set to 1)
  DmxMaster.usePin(3);  //Launch DMX with default output for tinker DMX shield
  DmxMaster.maxChannel(20);
}

void loop() {
    while(MIDI.read()) //if data is in the midi buffer
    {
      DmxMaster.write(MIDI.getData1(), MIDI.getData2());     //send DMX message using midi information
    }
}

Edison Member
View Profile

How do you send two commands at the same time? MIDI is a serial protocol which only permits the transmission of one byte at a time.

Pete

View Profile

I should have elaborated, I am sending the messages at the same time from Ableton live. I'm assuming that the 2 CC messages will arrive at the arduino very soon after one another.  Maybe the arduino is reading the 2 messages as one long, invalid, MIDI message??

thx

How do you send two commands at the same time? MIDI is a serial protocol which only permits the transmission of one byte at a time.

Pete

Edison Member
View Profile

I would modify the code to print out what the MIDI library is actually seeing and go from there.

Pete

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: