Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: 1.0.5 update, and future updates  (Read 1593 times)
Bristol, UK
part time tinkerer
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

i seem to have lost my libraries on the install of the 1.0.5 update.

although this is not a big issue (its not like i paid for the libraries or anything) it is a bit irritating locating the websites and saving the packages again.

now i know that i should be putting them in the (mac version of) my documents / arduino, but somewhere along the line, they installed to the root folder (maybe it was me ages ago?)

on a side note, the teensy application autoloaded to the package folder.

it'd be nice to have an installer that would copy the user files to a folder, so we can drop it into the my documents folder later.

just an idea.

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

So you did not, as it was recommended, put libraries you downloaded in your sketchbook folder and are complaining when things go wrong?

How exactly did you update? When I update I download the new one and delete the old one --- did you think some process would magically copy over what you put in one directory structure to the other?

Bristol, UK
part time tinkerer
View Profile

correct. but some pieces of software (teensy for instance) when it installs the files are told to go to the arduino application as opposed to the sketchbook folder.

the same with an arduino library package that i found that auto-installed.

and there's a difference between complaining and pointing out an issue

ps. where is it stated?

http://arduino.cc/en/main/software doesn't have it.

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

does your mac include a time machine (or what it is called?) It could help to recover all..

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Bristol, UK
part time tinkerer
View Profile

its no stress, i've collated everything now smiley

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

correct. but some pieces of software (teensy for instance) when it installs the files are told to go to the arduino application as opposed to the sketchbook folder.
The teensy installer makes a ton of modifications to the core. There's no way the arduino team could make something to transfer that over to a new arduino directory. The people who make teensy would need to come up with this solution.
the same with an arduino library package that i found that auto-installed.
If they came with one version of the IDE they come with all the ones going forward unless it's been deprecated.
and there's a difference between complaining and pointing out an issue
You're pointing out the issue that you didn't follow instructions properly?
ps. where is it stated?

http://arduino.cc/en/main/software doesn't have it.
http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/Libraries (which I found by going to reference -> libraries -> "If you're using one of these libraries, you need to install it first. See these instructions for details.") under the manual install section which was the only one there until 1.0.5

Bristol, UK
part time tinkerer
View Profile

ill keep my user friendly ideas to myself in the future.

open source, ratty community

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

ill keep my user friendly ideas to myself in the future.

open source, ratty community
User friendly is a really terrible term. Most people take it to mean "like the other software I've used" which really discourages innovation or efficient UIs.

This idea would also do nothing but encourage people to do it wrong. There are a thousand ways to install a library incorrectly. Most of them don't work at all so people don't do them. Others work but are not supported, so people do them and then complain they're not supported. Even worse are the people who do it the wrong way that works correctly and then tell other people to do it that way. It's best in software development to dissuade people from doing this rather than having to support this "feature" forevermore.

There's also not too many people interested enough to design a cross-platform solution to your idea and they're generally busy doing other things.

Finally, and most importantly, arduino 1.0.5 implemented an auto-install feature which does it right for you.

Bristol, UK
part time tinkerer
View Profile

delete long dwindling post

Finally, and most importantly, arduino 1.0.5 implemented an auto-install feature which does it right for you.

yay!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: