Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: My camera discontinued  (Read 1815 times)
Dallas, TX
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

My Hasselblad 500C/M that I've had since the early 70s is now discontinued tech. Not a bad run.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Is that one of those cameras that makes the obnoxiously loud CLACK you hear during press conferences? I find those very distracting, the sound frequency they generate appears to be picked up perfectly by the microphones.
If it was my call: I'd make anyone wanting to take pictures use digital cameras with an earbud for audio feedback if needed.

I had a Minolta 35mm SLR something or other for years (late 80's wedding present) until the shutter stopped working, had it fixed, and when it stopped working again I moved to digital with Olympus Ultrazoom 2500 (I think 2500, had 20X optical zoom, 2 MBit pics), thru the lens viewfiender  and diopter adjuster.  Now I have a smaller Canon Powershot something (SL170 maybe?), still with very good optical zoom and with more Mbits/pic, but lost the thru lens viewfinder, need to use my reading glasses to see what I'm shooting. Takes nice video too, my Olympus makes some annoying clicking when using internal mic for video.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Dallas, TX
View Profile

Is that one of those cameras that makes the obnoxiously loud CLACK you hear during press conferences?

No.

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

Is that one of those cameras that makes the obnoxiously loud CLACK you hear during press conferences?
not many (if any!) journos would use a Hasselblad, or any other medium format camera.

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

I don't know what is being used. Why not just shoot hi-def video and pick out some stills from there? Would certainly be quieter.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
View Profile

Why not just shoot hi-def video and pick out some stills from there?
2 Mpixel images are sooo 1998   smiley-wink

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

So what is TV? 1080 x 525? 567,000. Those pictures are certainly clear.
Where do the still shots end up? De-resolutioned for websites, maybe original high resolution for print magazines.

Dallas, TX
View Profile

not many (if any!) journos would use a Hasselblad, or any other medium format camera.
Exactly. I use mine for architectural and portraiture mainly. It would be far too bulky/heavy to lug around for news photography. Most journos that I know who still shoot film use a motor-drive 35mm.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Twelve Hasselblads remain on the lunar surface.

I wonder if they are still under warranty?

My Hasselblad 500C/M that I've had since the early 70s is now discontinued tech. Not a bad run.

Can you still get film for it?

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
View Profile

I still use a Pentax MX SLR given to me in 1979.
It's a lot lighter and more compact than my new K5, but the K5 can still use the same glass I've been collecting for the last thirty-odd years.
Good thinking, Pentax.

Dallas, TX
View Profile

Twelve Hasselblads remain on the lunar surface.

I wonder if they are still under warranty?

Can you still get film for it?

Can still get 120 roll film but not as good a variety as in the past. If you want to wind your own 70mm cassettes there are some movie films that are interesting.

Dallas, TX
View Profile

I still use a Pentax MX SLR given to me in 1979.
It's a lot lighter and more compact than my new K5, but the K5 can still use the same glass I've been collecting for the last thirty-odd years.
Good thinking, Pentax.

It's good to be able to use old glass because in most cases it's better than the new stuff. That's certainly the case with the Zeiss lenses for my Hasselblad. I like the fact that a vintage $5000 lens is worth $0.10 on the dollar nowadays too. I just acquired a 250mm lens (about 3X optical) for $300 that would have cost as much as a good used car when new.

Dubuque, Iowa, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
View Profile

That looks like a plate camera, in which case, the leaf shutter will be almost inaudible.
The loud "clack" described earlier is not the shutter, but the mirror.

Ayer, Massachusetts, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

That looks like a plate camera, in which case, the leaf shutter will be almost inaudible.
The loud "clack" described earlier is not the shutter, but the mirror.
I would imagine the camera in question probably takes 4x6 or 5x7 film, and not glass plates, which declined in popularity once George Eastman developed film in 1885.  One of the bellows cameras I bought was originally made for plates, but with a holder, you could use film.  The general class of these cameras is called large format (as opposed to the medium format Hasselblad that the OP was mourning which just stopped production).

From the picture, it looks like it is a 'view' or 'press' camera, which is a portable camera.  The Speed Graphic/Graflex cameras were the iconic cameras of this form, and were used by generations of newspaper photographers, most notably from the 1930's to the end of the 1950's.  My steampunk camera (see my icon photo) is meant to pay homage to these cameras.

To the OP, while it was perhaps inevitable, I can feel your pain.  I've never handled a Hasselblad, but they certainly were classic, iconic cameras.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 07:29:50 am by MichaelMeissner » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Jump to: