Go Down

Topic: Connect PC to arduino via USB (Read 653 times) previous topic - next topic

melis

Hello guys,

I am not so experienced in USB connections and protocols. What I would like to know is how to build a USB host for my arduino Uno( which is made on a breadboard) so I can connect it with a USB cable to a PC? I use an ATMEGA328p. What other things should I must be aware of?

CrossRoads

Add one of these, MIKROE-483, to have same functionality as an UNO.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/mikroElektronika/MIKROE-483/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduhQ%2frcyPs7PmGdeFG1B7qIuGl16liNH8Zb3mCcKALPhoQ%3d%3d
Connect +5, Gnd, DTR thru a 100nF cap to uC reset pin, Tx to Rx, Rx to Tx.
Here's one I used on a board.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

CrossRoads

If you want to be a Host, that is able to control USB thumb drives or similar, that's a whole different ball game.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

melis

I was wondering when I connect this arduino uno with the USB. Does each PC recognise the drivers of it?

CrossRoads

Yep - install drivers from www.ftdichip.com

melis

Hello again!

I am using a MIKROE-483 USB UART connected to arduino Uno. Also I have connected an Adafruit microsd card shield with a micro sd card. I try to run the CArdInfo example to the arduino and the serial monitor doesn't show anything. Could you please tell me why! Is it a problem to use the MIKROE-483 USB UART as a programmer to arduino?

CrossRoads

Why do you have a MIKROE483 when the Uno already has a USB/Serial chip on it? (the ATmega16U2).
You can use the MIKROE483 connected to the Uno's Rx/Tx/DTR pins if you connect Reset on the 16U2  6-pin header to Gnd to kick it off the Rx/Tx pins.
May need a 0.1u cap from MIKROE-483 to Uno Reset pin for software controlled reset during programming.
Be sure to connect Gnd to Gnd; and 5V to 5V if powering the Uno via the MIKROE483 USB connection.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy