Go Down

Topic: Programming with MAXIM 7221CMG. (Read 394 times) previous topic - next topic

cjdelphi

I came across a guy looking for information on how to build something similar to something you'd see in a Daft Punk video, so anyway after a few video searching
i come across this!

wow!

Set it to 1028p high def (don't bother trying to play it if you can't) but simply pause it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxjmQfeYztA&feature=player_detailpage#t=117s
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxjmQfeYztA&feature=player_detailpage#t=117s[/video]

First of all, wow, love these daft punk helmets, but....  after telling him to go watch this video he comes back saying "but i don't know how he does it"

I think it's quite clearly painfully obvious from all the photos in high def!

So, the Maxim 7221CMG, anyone programmed one of these, how's it compare to using smaller shift registers like the 7hc595, I'm wondering why he choose this to program with, was it purely
to keep the size down, easier?

AWOL

Set it to 1028p high def (don't bother trying to play it if you can't)

Ok, I won't.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

cjdelphi

Set it to 1028p high def (don't bother trying to play it if you can't)

Ok, I won't.

So Literal!

If you can't "play it" because your computer can't play it back without freezing your computer up... then don't, simply "pause it" then simply skip a frame at a time, until you see the images
you wish...

cjdelphi

Also Awol, why am i getting the feeling i'm being somewhat estalked?

Riva

So, the Maxim 7221CMG, anyone programmed one of these, how's it compare to using smaller shift registers like the 7hc595, I'm wondering why he choose this to program with, was it purely
to keep the size down, easier?

An advantage of the MAX7221/MAX7219 is it's easy to program, easy to daisy-chain multiple devices together and once the LED pattern is uploaded to the chip it deals with all the LED multiplexing so you have no worry about timing issues you may get with shift registers.

AWOL

"No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the Universe gets that" - Slarty Bartfast.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Jack Christensen

"No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the Universe gets that" - Slarty Bartfast.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that everyone is not out to get you. ;)

Good video, impressive project, nicely done.  @cj, check the playground, there are at least a couple libraries for the MAX7221 and its very similar sibling, MAX7219.
MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

CrossRoads

MAX7219 & MAX7221 are communicated with exactly the same.
I prefer SPI for speed, but shiftout works as well.
MAX7221 has controlled edge transition rates to cut down on EMI.
Otherwise, both are programmed the same:

digitalWrite(CSpin, LOW);
SPI.transfer(registerAddress);
SPI.transfer(numberTo Transfer);
digitalwrite(CSpin, HIGH);

registerAddress varies from 00 to 15, per a table in the data sheet.
Address 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 are the data registers that each control a column of data in a matrix or a digit in a seven segment display.
9-15 are the setup ahead of time to indicate things like the decode mode for using your own font, how many columns are active, the brightness, etc. Generally all are sent out in void setup, with perhaps the  brightness changed under user control in void loop.
Address 0 is used for NOP when MAX7219/7221s are cascaded and you don't want device in the string to do anything.

I've used these in several projects and have not used any library. Once past setting up a couple of registers, you're just sending data out for a column. Library is overkill.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Go Up