Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Using solar panel to power small DC Motor 6/9v  (Read 727 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I am trying to use a small solar panel to charge a battery and power a small DC motor 6/9v. 

I don't know what type of solar panel I need to buy in order to power a motor that is rated for 6V DC, has an operating voltage of 1.5-6.5V DC, and no load current of 280mA.  It is a very small standard DC hobbyist motor.

Is it correct to say that the motor is using (280*10^-3)(6.5v) = .5096 Watts?  Therefore, I need a solar panel that can produce at lease .5 Watts and 6V?

Also, what type of battery do I need to hold the charge generated by the solar panel?  Is a 9V rechargeable battery sufficient?

Thanks,

Dan     

View Profile

6.5V * .28= 1.82 Watts, and if you are charging a battery while doing the motor, you need at least a 2 watts solar panel. Depends on what the battery you need for. If it's just for powering the motor, It's better to get super-capacitor than battery.

I am trying to use a small solar panel to charge a battery and power a small DC motor 6/9v. 

I don't know what type of solar panel I need to buy in order to power a motor that is rated for 6V DC, has an operating voltage of 1.5-6.5V DC, and no load current of 280mA.  It is a very small standard DC hobbyist motor.

Is it correct to say that the motor is using (280*10^-3)(6.5v) = .5096 Watts?  Therefore, I need a solar panel that can produce at lease .5 Watts and 6V?

Also, what type of battery do I need to hold the charge generated by the solar panel?  Is a 9V rechargeable battery sufficient?

Thanks,

Dan     

Australia
View Profile

Whats the motor going to be powering?
For how much of the day will the motor be running?
Do you want the motor to run in the middle of winter?
All these factors are needed to size the solar panel.

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

How much capacity do you want in the battery?
What battery chemistry?
You realise for most batteries you have to protect against over-charge and over-discharge? (otherwise you
ruin the battery)

If you say what you want to achieve, we can probably advise better.

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

View Profile

Sorry for the lack of detail. 

Whats the motor going to be powering?

A 4 inch diameter pinwheel.

For how much of the day will the motor be running?

All day and night.  I don't want it to turn off. 

Do you want the motor to run in the middle of winter?

Assume it is moderately sunny outside. 

How much capacity do you want in the battery?

I'm not sure.  How much would you suggest?

What battery chemistry?

I have no preference.

You realise for most batteries you have to protect against over-charge and over-discharge? (otherwise you
ruin the battery)

I was going to use a rechargeable battery to address this issue.  Will this not be sufficient to deal with this problem?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: