Go Down

Topic: Arduino Motor Shield with 6 DC motors (Read 692 times) previous topic - next topic

Hi,

I am about to start my first Arduino-based project. I have used Lego Mindstorms NXT with TETRIX, additional sensors and the programming language ROBOTC for years, however, I am completely new to electronics as well as Arduino.

To begin with, I want to build a robot only some wider and longer than the Arduino Uno R3, which I will be using. The robot needs to have 6 wheels/motors (3 motors on each side), if possible, and one of the motors on each side needs to have an encoder. I am planning to use the official Arduino Motor Shield found on the Arduino site.

Since I am completely new to electronics I find it hard to know what is possible or impossible, although I have done some research on the internet. I see that the board supports maximum 4A (2A per channel) and operates between 5V and 12V. So,

- Since I need 3 motors on one side operating synchronously and 3 motors on the other side operating synchronously, how should I connect each side-pair of motors? I guess they should be connected in parallel?

- What are my limitations of choice of motors, if I need 6 motors on one board? Would six of these motors (http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/2364) work, since their total stall-current would be 4,2A? (and does this even matter, or does it has to do with something completely else?)

- What (type of) batteries should I be looking for? They should be rechargeable. I also believe I will need one battery for the Arduino Uno and the Motor Shield, and another battery for the motors?

- What (electrical) components will I need? On-off switches, resistors, some sort of connectors etc.? I might be able to figure this out myself, I am just afraid to burn something or fry any circuits before I even get started!

If this should be posted elsewhere or has already been answered somewhere, please let me know. Also let me know if I need to explain something further. And sorry if this is "basic knowledge", but I have looked quite a lot in the internet but still could not figure this out...
Thank you so much in advance! :-)

Gabriel

MarkT

If the motors need to go both directions then each needs a full H-bridge (so dual H-bridge chips are limited
to two motors each).  I don't think there are shields for more than 4 motors, seems unlikely.

If motors only have to turn one way then a single logic-level MOSFET is needed for each, driven from a PWM pin,
this is more likely to be available as a shield?
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Well, I have 6 motors whereof 3 motors should work synchronously as ONE motor (so that if one motor spins, brakes or changes direction the other two does too), and the other 3 should work synchronously as one motor too. If I connected 3 motors in parallel and connected these to + and - in the screw terminal A, and then connected the other 3 motors in parallel and connected these to + and - in the screw terminal B, would that work? :-) Or would I destroy something?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy