Go Down

Topic: Can this damage my led? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

cjdelphi

Yes the digital pin.

Step 1. The easiest way to do it is look at the datasheet of the transistor you have, find out what the transistor is.

Step 2. Find the collector, base, emitter pins, careful which way round the transistor is (Generally, Base is middle)
Step 3. place a wire from arduino digital pin 2 to the breadboard, connect a 1k-10k resistor, then in series through that resistor and into the base pin.
Step 4 & 5, depending on if it's an NPN or PNP, you have to take different steps, refer to Step 1. then get back to us.

The_Oddler

Yes the digital pin.

Step 1. The easiest way to do it is look at the datasheet of the transistor you have, find out what the transistor is.

Step 2. Find the collector, base, emitter pins, careful which way round the transistor is (Generally, Base is middle)
Step 3. place a wire from arduino digital pin 2 to the breadboard, connect a 1k-10k resistor, then in series through that resistor and into the base pin.
Step 4 & 5, depending on if it's an NPN or PNP, you have to take different steps, refer to Step 1. then get back to us.

Thank a lot for this. Though I currently don't have any transistors. I'm going to the store in a minute, so what kind should I get? (I'm not sure what they'll have, but generally they have quite a lot.)

cjdelphi

get one of each or a couple cheapest one will handle 200-300ma  npn is more useful in my opinion. but get both and play... npn/pnp

codlink

2n2222
2n3904
BCxxx

Should be the common ones.  Pretty sure someone else will list some others.
//LiNK

fungus

how much does the Arduino give

See reply #5

Ok :P So basecly no I'm not damaging my leds, nor my Arduino. Though since my setup wants 130mA it's getting less than a third of what it wants.

No, 40mA is the point where Atmel says damage will start happening but the chip has no built-in limiting.

It will give you 130mA ... right up until the pin burns out.
No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Go Up