Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down
Author Topic: Billie's Hydroponic Controller  (Read 57870 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Do you hane a picture, my valves use
NPT sizes.

View Profile

These are the Valves I ordered from Ebay,  They  have male 1/2"-14 tpi  straight thread fittings.

* valve.JPG (29.22 KB, 400x400 - viewed 32 times.)

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Hello,

I've decided to build this Hydroponic Controller. I've already ordered many parts but I have one question : what is the use of this valve (Pressure Solar Water Heater Dedicated 12V Solenoid Valve) ? This project seems to be very nice.

Thank you very much

View Profile

@ lolocaledo
Hello- To answer your question directly, the solenoid valve is used to replenish the potable water in the hydroponic nutrient or aquaponic nutrient  tank. I am trying this valve as I have tried toilet tank valves in the past and they always fail at the worst time, or just fail and waste your money by flushing all of your nutrients out on the ground.

I too am building this project, started mine about 2 weeks ago, most of my parts are in from china and Hong Kong. Still missing a few. I attempted to build a PH controller using the practical maker arduaruim PH board a few years back. It did not work as the PH board can not be calibrated to span the PH range needed for plants. I was not aware of the Phidgets board at the time. (THANK YOU BILLIE!!)
 I grow salad greens in plastic beer cups filled with small lava chips placed in PVC pipe similar to what Billie uses.

One of the pitfalls I have found with this build  is the additional code libraries needed have various and sundry names, and some have been updated and called a different name or obsoleted . I managed to sift the pearls from the shit and now have  Billie's latest code release compiling and loading on my mega. I want to get Billie's build working first , and then later add an  EC measurement to fully automate the system.  I currently use an BlueLab Truncheon for my EC reading now.

Where on the planet are you?   .nc  North Carolina?

With kind regards,
Zatheros
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 07:56:56 am by zatheros7 » Logged

View Profile

Does anyone else run into issues when connecting the tft sheild pins to the MEGA? I am trying to use less cable, and when I connect the 20 pins to their respective slots on the MEGA and screen displays the image, but the code and the screen do not work at all. Which pins are we supposed to connect to?

View Profile

I have a like program running on an Arduino Mega. I'm also running a 3.2 inch TTF Touch Screen on a mega v2 shield.
Mega Shield utilizes pins 5V, 3V3, GND, 2-6, 20-41, & (50-53 for SD Card) I found it still runs 100% w/o pins 20 & 21 (the v2 shield does NOT have 20 & 21 thru header pins)

View Profile

Hi everyone. I am working with this too. My problems is here:

Code is the same as uploaded here, Billie's Hydroponic Controller V1.1.2b

So, i cant find working ITDB02_Touch.h anymore. At first i have working lcd and touch, but the touch was upside down?? I changed the library, to another downloaded from somewhere, and the calibration is too much at the left...

So, i tried the UTouch, and it worked pretty great, BUT.. Touch stop working, when plugged to external power supply??? Working OK when connected to computer, until reboot with ext power...

Anyway, the touch works with the ''right''  ITDB02_Touch.h, but upside down.. Work with external power too smiley

Anyway, how i can calibrate this display?
Can i use Utouch someway?

Sorry about being noob, bought my first arduino about two months ago.. smiley and sorry about my bad English.. smiley-grin
1st post at the forum , jihaa!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 05:55:32 pm by Leinonen » Logged

View Profile

Hey Billie, I am interested in regarding hydroponic system. On the controller to add the EC (PPM) probe and Dosage for fertilizer. Interests elsewhere to get the cheapest material to the matter up and run.
Greetings!

View Profile

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great info. I'm still turning on LED lights so I am far from understanding all of the code. However I have been growing in hydroponics for ten years and understand what I want to automate and how to do it. (just not how to write yet). What a great thread you have going here. What a great start for anyone looking to automate. I know it's time consuming answering all of these questions so just wanted to say thanks. Not a lot of people are willing to keep up with all the questions so it's great to see your willingness to spread the knowledge. An idea I had for nutrient mixing etc is to mix nutes in a different reservoir and then have a pump from there to your current reservoir. You could then set your floats to activate the pump in the nute reservoir. You could set the program to add from nutes reservoir if ec of the nutes reservoir is proper level else fill from plain water or whatever you currently do. I know I like to add in plain water for a couple top offs and then do half strength nutrients until I change the reservoir out so that could also be programmed as well.

In your new nutrient reservoir you could even have a separate controller if needed and setup similar to your ph method with a delay after a certain amount of nutrients are added in order to assure your reading is valid. If you using a 2 part nutrient you could set it up to add part A until ec is met then add part B in same fashion. Just my .02

Also would any of these TDS sensors work with arduino? http://webpages.charter.net/tdsmeter/products.html

Looking forward to learning more. Thanks again for all of the contributions from everyone.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 06:30:02 pm by MiracleDro » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up
Jump to: