Go Down

Topic: Can this Sure GLCD use Arduino library (Read 3097 times) previous topic - next topic

Pedro147

Bill,
thanks for your help and all the time you spent "educating" me, but I got it working. A simple mistake on my part i.e. plugging the reset line into a row that was not connected to glcd pin 17. Oh well I have learn't some things about these displays and reading data sheets etc.

Pedro.
http://www.pedroduino.com

bperrybap

Great!
That is a great photo by the way. Probably one of the best I've seen for this.
So many that people post are blurry, have poor lighting, or simply don't capture all the wires.

A couple of things look  odd, and maybe some are picture "tricks" and perhaps
you already fixed them.

The resistor and sharing bread board "holes":
It looks like the resistor is trying to share holes with other wires.
Red wired on the power rail, and a blue wire that goes off to the pot or maybe it is
the red wire in column 40.
While it can physically be done,
it isn't reliable and will have issues, since often the wires are not exactly the same size
so one wire may not get proper connection if any. Best to never do that.

Red Anode wire:
There is a red wire that looks like it goes over to maybe pin 19? (the backlight Anode?)
doesn't look like it is connected to anything. Maybe the resistor actually connects to it instead of the blue wire?
The resistor needs to connect between the Anode and the power rail.
(maybe it does if the resistor is connected to the red wire vs the blue wire)

Vee signal to pot:
It looks like the blue wire that appears to be sharing a wire with the resistor
is not connected to the glcd. Without that connection to Vee, no pixels
will show up.
(Maybe you meant Vee and pin 18 instead of Reset and pin 17 in your post?)

So I'm guessing you have figured out how the rows and power rails are all connected now.
The gap in the middle of the board separates the two columns.
One thing to be careful of is using both power rails. In this case you connected them
but only used one. But suppose you had used them both. For example hooked up
glcd pin 2 or glcd pin 2 to the upper rail instead of the bottom rail. It might not have worked.
This is because you can get what is known as ground bounce. The ground and power levels being
used for the some parts of the glcd would not necessarily be the same as the levels being
used for the signals. This occurs because during signal switching, chips use more power for that
very brief period of time and when they "suck" on the power lines the power lines can momentarily
droop or a ground can momentarily float up.
To cure this you could use some capacitors across the rails.
It is best to use as few rails as possible, disconnect unused rails, and then to keep all the power and ground inputs
as close to each other as possible on the rails. This can help avoid those types of things.

Anyway, glad it is all up and working.

--- bill

Pedro147

Bill,
I am glad that my photo was clear as it it hard to get a good shot of some breadboard layouts. I do not know how I missed that basic mistake that I made by plugging the reset line into a  breadboard strip that was not connected to the glcd, oh well. Thanks for the tips for bread boarding and I will take them all on board. Now that I have the display working with the test sketches I have been trying out a few of the drawing functions documented in the HTML file attached to the library. I worked out some basics like drawing a circle etc but was wondering if there are any good "tutorials" or the like that you know of or is it just a matter of looking at sketches and the function descriptions in the HTML document and experimenting.Thanks again for all your help and the work that you do on this forum, it is appreciated,

Pedro.

bperrybap

There may be some tutorials out there, but I don't know of any.
For now, you'll have to look at the example sketches and the API documentation
to try to get a feel for how things work.

Most of the calls are fairly obvious.
Text areas are a bit novel and may take a bit to get used to, but once
you declare them and initialize them they are pretty easy to use.

One of the things I'm working on that will be in a future release is that
many of the API functions in the HTML documentation will include an
example of how to use the function.

--- bill

Pedro147

Go Up