Go Down

Topic: Control solenoid with arduino, what is wrong with my circuit? (Read 340 times) previous topic - next topic

aerograce

I am trying to control a 12V DC 3W solenoid valve with arduino. The valve works perfectly fine when I directly connect it with power supply, however, when I follow this post, it doesnt have any current flowing through the valve.
http://www.g7smy.co.uk/2015/02/solenoids-on-the-arduino-with-mosfet-power/

I am using this Mosfet:
Vishay's IRLZ14 N-MOSFET  http://www.vishay.com/docs/91325/sihlz14.pdf

I have attached a photo of my circuit here as well. Have been troubled by this for 2 days already:(

Anyone can help me with it? Appreciate soooo much!

PS. The power supply goes through a 12V regulator first before connecting to the valve.

CrossRoads

How about a schematic of what you have connected up? It's hard to tell from the picture, and  can't access the g7smy site.

Looks like an ok MOSFET for switching the solenoid - to Gnd.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

aerograce

Here is the schematic. I am not sure if I get my wiring correctly. I am new to Electronics stuff:(

CrossRoads

That schematic looks good. It's not working for you? Is the regulator limiting the current too much?
Connect the solenoid+ to the power supply directly.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

aerograce

I gonna check my wiring tomorrow. Hope a night of good sleep chases the problem away haha

gpsmikey

You do have the mosfet ground and Arduino ground connected together don't you?  What happens if you measure the voltage at the gate of the mosfet?  Does it switch as expected between 0 and 5v?
mikey
-- you can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !
old engineering saying: 1+1 = 3 for sufficiently large values of 1 or small values of 3

Go Up