Go Down

Topic: Programming an Atmega328 using an Arduino Uno (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

afremont

I agree with others that the caps on the crystal look kind big for 22pF.  Another thing I'd try is adding .1uF bypass caps to the power leads of the 328, right on the breadboard near the pins. 

If the chip responds and runs the blink program when it's in the board, it should do so on the breadboard.  It's not starting for some reason.  You might try a manual reset after you apply power to the breadboard.  I don't know how picky the AVRs are, but I've had trouble with the low power PIC chips not starting without a bypass cap on the power or if the power wires leading to the chip were long and thin.  This made the rise time too slow and PIC wouldn't come out of reset.
Experience, it's what you get when you were expecting something else.

hiduino

I tested the tutorial with my Uno.  Took out the m328p and breadboarded it according to the diagram and it worked fine.  I uploaded Blink and tried various delays.  I did leave off the external pull-up resistor on the reset pin, again because the Uno board is already providing that.

Jumbosize

Thanks for all of the help, guys. I found out that the problem was as many of you suggested the caps on the crystal were too high. They were actually .1uF caps that somehow managed to find themselves into a bag in my drawer labeled 22pF. I should really be more careful next time I do some cleaning up...

I just want to say I really appreciate how helpful the arduino community is. I've had many silly questions like this (and I'm sure many to come...) that you guys have happily answered for me.

Thanks!

Go Up