Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Measuring the resistance and thus temperature of an RTD  (Read 785 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I have a soldering pencil which has an integrated PTC RTD built in. The temperature of the RTD can be represented using this equation y = 0.0056x^2+4.9382X-239.43 where x is the resistance of the RTD and y is the temperature in Celsius. The resistance would vary from 50 to 100 ohms (its a relatively low resistance for an RTD).

Could you please provide me with a way to measure the resistance of the RTD giving the greatest resolution to the arduino measuring it? (ie use all 1024 voltage levels measured with the arduino's analogRead() )

Thank you in advance.

Montreal
Edison Member
Per aspera ad astra.
View Profile

You would not get much better resolution, if you 'd carefully scale input  to 0-5 range using OPA,  compare to simple R - RTD voltage divider.
 Other options,  use external ADC, 16 - 24 bits, or you may dig for Atmel app. note explaining oversampling technics AVR121.
For update rate 3 Hz , which is (IMHO) o'k with temperature measurements, they give this numbers:
Voltage        Oversa-       Right      Ideal           Ideal voltage           Maximum
resolution     mpled      shifted decimated      representation         Bandwidth
                                                  result

~75 uV       4096X         6X        32413             2.4729V               ~3Hz (1)

View Profile

Magician could you please explain to me the term OPA and the table you posted below?
Thanx again

Montreal
Edison Member
Per aspera ad astra.
View Profile

Table from AVR121, google for it. OPA - operational amplifier: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_amplifier

View Profile

Thanks for the help magician

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: