Go Down

Topic: Need help to input variables to SD card built in function. (Read 768 times) previous topic - next topic

ebird97

Hello, I need to dynamically change the directory or file name in the SD.open() [ex. SD.open("/0/file.txt") ] function. I tried String typecasting into the function but I get an error. I need to dynamically change which directory I'm opening based on an externally inputted variable while the Arduino is running in the wild. For example, if the number I get in the wild is 1,2,3 I would need a way to do this SD.open(1/2/3); without having to hard code the "1/2/3" argument in the function.
I tried typecasting the variables as a String, char, and char* but none of these worked and produced errors. If you know of a way to dynamically change the directory on the fly then that would be very much appreciated!
Thanks, here's my code.

Code: [Select]

#include <SD.h>
byte SD_CS = 4;
File test_file;
void setup(){
Serial.begin(9600); //open serial port

Serial.println("Initializing SD Card");
pinMode(SD_CS, OUTPUT); //CS for SD card
pinMode(10, OUTPUT); //CS must be an output for SPI to work

if(!SD.begin(SD_CS)){
Serial.println("SD card initialization failed");
return;
}

Serial.println("SD card ready");

test_file = SD.open(String(/0/test.txt), FILE_WRITE); //this line causes problems
}

void loop(){

}

johnwasser

Code: [Select]

char filename[50];
int filenameIndex = 0;

filename[filenameIndex++] = '/';  // Root directory

int input = Serial.read();
if (input >= '0' && input <= '9')
    filename[filenameIndex++] = input;

if (input == ',')
    filename[filenameIndex++] = '/';

strcpy(filename+filenameIndex, "filename.txt"); // Add the filename (and null terminator)
   test_file = SD.open(filename, FILE_WRITE);

Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

ebird97

May 06, 2013, 03:34 am Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 03:52 am by ebird97 Reason: 1
Thanks! However I don't understand what the "filename+filenameIndex" means in: strcpy(filename+filenameIndex, "filename.txt");

johnwasser

Thanks! However I don't understand what the "filename+filenameIndex" means in: strcpy(filename+filenameIndex, "filename.txt");

It means the same as "&filename[filenameIndex]" which means "address of the element in filename at index filenameIndex".
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy