Go Down

Topic: monitoring position of ball on a flat surface that is 15ft x 150ft (Read 416 times) previous topic - next topic

I would like to track the position of a ball that moving from one end of a playing surface to the other about 150 ft away. The ball starts at rest  and takes about 10-30 sec to come to rest at the other end of the playing surface. As the ball moves from one end to the other, it travels in a slight arc.

I have read many of the posts indicating that using a gyroscope and accelerometer has too much error and that using wifi RSSI is too noisy to allow triangulation.

Are there any other approaches I should consider?

Erdin

A webcam from above, or a scanning laser.
Or a grid of wires in the floor.
Sorry, I don't know a simple and good solution.

aI have been looking at a system based on cameras located above the surface. I think I am able to track the ball with a software based on OpenCV but I am having difficultly handling multiple cameras.

I am intrigued by your thought of the grid of wires in the floor. How would that work?

Erdin

A wacom pen-tablet uses grid of wires, and a pen with a coil.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_tablet
I read: "the horizontal and vertical wires of the tablet operate as both transmitting and receiving coils". But that is about the same I know about it.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy