Go Down

Topic: Using an opamp to measure the voltage accross a RTD (SOLVED) (Read 996 times) previous topic - next topic

Voidugu

May 11, 2013, 10:00 am Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 01:45 pm by Voidugu Reason: 1
I am trying to measure the voltage drop across an RTD. Its resistance will vary from 50 to 100 ohms. A resistor of 75 ohms connected in series with the RTD, creating a voltage divider,connected to 5V DC gives a voltage range from 2V (R RTD = 50 ohms) to 2.857V (R RTD = 100 ohms) across the RTD. If this was fed directly to the ADC of the atmega328 then the resolution would be extremely poor.

My idea is that with a suitable amplifier circuit, this voltage range can be amplified around 5.83 times (5 /(2.857 - 2)= 5.83)to allow me to utilize the full potential of the atmega's ADC. The problem is that i am a complete novice with opamps since this is the first time using them.

Could you please help me by providing a suitable circuit or by providing me with some information on how to implement this?  

Thank you in advance.
Regards Voidugu

pito

Just an idea: you may use Wheatstone bridge (see below). Wit R1/R2 you may zero the bridge (you get zero at the opamp output), the op-amp amplification (you need a proper op-amp circuit there) gives you the range (ie. 0V-5V).
Google "wheatstone bridge op amp circuit" to get some details on it..

Nick_Pyner

You want something like this?

http://openenergymonitor.org/emon/node/75

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy