Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: arduino venture into space for pictures  (Read 282 times)
Malaysia
Stay calm and call batman!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello, im planning a project with a few of my friends. we wanna send a weather balloon into space, take a few shots and send it back to us. may i ask what do they normally use? camera for pic(obviously),Gps for location it, but how do i send the image from space? i doubt i can still retrieve the balloon when it lands, so how can i receive images from space. thanks a bunch!

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

but how do i send the image from space?
you need some sort of transmitter that is allowed in your country.

It is easier to use an SD card and add a beacon/parachute to the device imho

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Malaysia
View Profile

hi, i agree that the easier way would probably to extract the images when the thing lands, just afraid it might go off course..but how should i control the camera? i need to send commands to the arduino board. or do i use timers?

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

but how should i control the camera?
depends, how many photos video do you want to make?
do you want to control it or should it be autonomous?

timers is an interesting thought to work out.

your post sounds like you are very concerned with HOW questions while not thought enough about WHAT questions a.k.a. requirements.

What should the system do?
- make as much pictures from launch till crash and beyond
- monitor the acceleration during trip
- monitor GPS

What does the system not do? e.g. it should not search for recognizable objects before making a picture

Please post a list of the 25 requirements your system must accomplish.

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

hi, i agree that the easier way would probably to extract the images when the thing lands, just afraid it might go off course..but how should i control the camera? i need to send commands to the arduino board. or do i use timers?

I'm not sure how they do it in Malaysia, but generally you can't just release a large weather balloon to fly off willy-nilly without notifying some agency or such (ie - here in the USA it would be the FAA - in Malaysia, probably this: http://www.dca.gov.my/). Unless you want to take the chance of an aircraft hitting your balloon, possibly killing people...

The fact that you are asking such basic questions tells me you have a ton to learn about this subject; you're worried about positioning the camera, etc - but you haven't even thought about permits, sourcing of the weather balloon and helium (won't be cheap!), insulation, heating, and power, the need for various radio comms licenses (ie - amateur/HAM radio), etc.

You will have no control over the balloon - assume it will go "off course" - the best you can do is understand the weather and air currents at the altitudes you plan to fly at, and pick a day with a good forecast. You may or may not be able to control the camera (if you do, you will likely need to use some kind of amateur radio frequency or satellite comms for such control). You likely won't be able to get live video or such from the balloon (again - not without spending a boatload of money on the equipment, which you may or may not be able to recover).

In short - you need to do a lot more research on this project before you build anything - and also gain a handle on what kind of a budget you are likely to need to do this properly, as well as all the other logistics. This isn't something you can generally do as a single person; you will likely want a team of people to help plan, launch and (hopefully) recover. You will need vehicles and people to run them if you do plan on recovering anything. At best, expect to spend a minimum of $1000.00 USD (and that is probably very optimistic) and expect to lose it all on the first launch, with nothing to show for it. If you aren't willing to do this, this isn't the project for you.

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Malaysia
View Profile

hello and thanks for the replies, i never thought about all of these until robtillaart and cr0sh mentioned it. as for the airspace thing, i remember coming across a site where it says that a weather balloon bellow certain weight is permitted, but i will check this out in detail of course. i initially thought i t was as simple as letting a balloon fly up, snap few photos, send wireless and i was not planning on retrieving the remainders of the balloon. i think me and my friends have to consider more aspects first before carrying out this project. thanks for the advice, will come back again when i have more updates!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: