Go Down

Topic: usb speaker using arduino (Read 2385 times) previous topic - next topic

001neeraj

I have a Duemilanove board and i want to hear the audio output of my laptop through speakers which is connected to Duemilanove board. The only connection b/w laptop and this board should be only via USB (power of arduino and amplifier from laptop USB port). This ardiono board should not be connected to laptop's audio output jack for getting audio signals. Instead this device should receive signals from USB port. I use ubuntu 12.04/ Windows7. I need an outline of what to do first and then ?. Or how can i make a device lke this ?. Kindly help me..Thanks n advance...

CrossRoads

You need to send digital version of the sound you want to the Arduino via USB, then have the arduino convert it to audio.
Easiest way is likely send 8 bit data, use external DAC such as MCP4801, available at Digikey.com
12-bit or 16-bit data sent as 2 bytes will sound better.
Use high speed serial interface with PC, and SPI interface to the DAC.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

001neeraj

May 15, 2013, 02:56 pm Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 02:59 pm by 001neeraj Reason: 1
Thank you very much for the response.
"You need to send digital version of the sound you want to the Arduino via USB, Easiest way is likely send 8 bit data"
In order to do as you suggested, How can i send all the digital signal of audio to USB port as 8-bit data? There should need some driver, right?  Can you suggest some references?

CrossRoads

Sorry, I am not a PC software guru, can't help you there.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

cjdelphi

just use the audio jack out and use the usb for power 5v, all you need then is a 5v amplifier

Go Up