Thank you for taking time to read this post and conmmenting.
I have an old boat with twin diesel turbocharged motors that are pre-CAN. I am in the process of porting some sensors to each motor (thermocouples for coolant, turbo temperature, a nice stainless steel pressure sensor for the turbo inter-cooler pressure, and some hall sensors for engine RPM. I have machined up all the adapters to suit. That's it for the motors.
Although I have looked around extensively with Google, I can't find any Eagle files that suit my purpose for the display of this information, so I'll detail this project as clearly as I can. There are some commercially available units, but I like the idea of being able to pop out a dud display, or, change the colours easily, or mix them.
The project is all about displaying the information from the PORT and STARBOARD motors. I intend to use RED 4 digit 7-segment displays for PORT motor info, and GREEN 4 digit 7-segment displays for the STARBOARD motor.
Each motor would have the following.
|TASK||DIGITS||DIGIT SIZE (inch)|
1. Design in Eagle CAD
2. Same PCB to suit both 0.56" and 1.0" (just plug in and solder whatever colour you like). Single PCB for each motor task (ie 5 individual PCB's for each motor)
3. Each PCB adressable (whatever chip suits + maybe DIP switches) and daisy-chainable.
4. PCB size no greater than 5cm x 2.5 cm (suits 2 up on a 5cm x 5cm for Seeed Studio PCB production.
5. No surface mount (hobbyist assembly for the old and blind
6. Discussion on the possibility of using an ATTINY....
If you're interested, please join in. Extension ideas and comments welcome.
Possible future extension would include 2 extra displays for diesel fuel flow. Some sensors are now down to a little over $US10!