Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Schematic Needed seeed ethernet v1.1  (Read 546 times)
ottawa, canada
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I picked up a seeed stutio ethernet shield at radioshack for 19.99.  http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/ethernet-shield-p-518.html

It works fine if I have it plugged in to an arduino but not if I connect it with jumpers.  I'm connecting gnd, 5v, reset, and pins 10-13.  I note that it has an ISP female header that plugs into the arduino male and i'm wondering if that is where it is getting its spi signals.  The ISP header's sck, miso & mosi are connected to 13, 12, and 11 on the arduino but seem to be isolated from them on the seeed shield.  I'm not sure why that's useful but then i'm not sure why it has an ISP connector!

I may just try jumpering to the isp but i'd rather look at the schematic first.

Miramar Beach, Florida
Faraday Member
View Profile

I may just try jumpering to the isp but i'd rather look at the schematic first.
That is always a good idea, but some can be deduced by the setup. If the shield works when connected, and doesn't when jumpered, then it is not jumpered correctly.

I note that it has an ISP female header that plugs into the arduino male and i'm wondering if that is where it is getting its spi signals.
Jumper the six ISP pins to the ICSP pins on the Arduino. I can see the traces on the ISP connector to the pads labelled MISO, MOSI, and SCK. That is how the newer shields that use SPI connect to the SPI data lines. Then it will work on a Mega too.

edit: Maybe it is my eyes, but I bet if you look closely at the pads labelled MISO, MOSI, and SCK, that there is a small thin jumper trace between the center pad and the right pad of the three, but not from the left pad to the center pad. To me, that would indicate that this shield is using the ICSP pins for the SPI, and D11-D13 are not used.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 10:31:50 am by SurferTim » Logged

ottawa, canada
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Thanks, i think you're right. The part about the mega explains the isp/ jumper business.

Miramar Beach, Florida
Faraday Member
View Profile

If you jumper all the ICSP pins, that connects 5v, gnd, reset and the 3 SPI data lines. Those traces appear to be on your shield also. I see them. How convenient! One 6-pin jumper cable.
http://arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/Arduino_Uno_Rev3-schematic.pdf

edit: That and D10 jumpered. That is the slave select line for the ethernet shields. Applies to Uno, Mega, and Leonardo.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:56:15 pm by SurferTim » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: