Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
Author Topic: Ban Fritzing  (Read 12608 times)
Pistestii din Deal
Arduino project collection rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Mine is prettier! Anyway, the author was talking about the schematic part, which is horrible compared with any free EDA package.

sheet_breadboard-FreeJALduino by funlw65, on Flickr
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 10:07:43 am by funlw65 » Logged

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

I like the diagram from aarondc. It is not schematic. I consider it a "realistic rendering of an actual circuit". This fit my idea: ICs with many pins are bad because it's very hard to make out of what is going on. Otherwise (like what aarondc produced) it can be good.

Melbourne, Australia
God Member
View Profile

I like the diagram from aarondc. It is not schematic. I consider it a "realistic rendering of an actual circuit". This fit my idea: ICs with many pins are bad because it's very hard to make out of what is going on. Otherwise (like what aarondc produced) it can be good.

Thanks. As a very visually oriented person, I find that sort of diagram helpful. Eventually schematics will be helpful also, but there are things to learn there, whereas the real life representation is plug n play.

Windows serial port monitor: Tellurium | Arduino serial port debugging library: DBG | Cusom LCD char generator | Technical questions will only be answered in forum threads

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

OK "plug-n-play rendering of an electrical circuit".

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

and much like building a kit you learn very little, just plop stuff here and instant genius!

I dont really have a problem with that to a point, but it makes it harder for you to reconfigure the circuit, or change its layout, and that is your loss.

still don't get the issue with reading a schematic, I was a kid when I started reading them from the simple books at radio shack, but I like to be able to read rather than point at a picture of a big mac and grunt  smiley-wink
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 01:02:13 am by Osgeld » Logged

Melbourne, Australia
God Member
View Profile

From a psychological point of view, you are far more likely to be motivated by the success of a working circuit, regardless of how little it costs you in terms of mental processing power, than struggling with something that does not work.

Windows serial port monitor: Tellurium | Arduino serial port debugging library: DBG | Cusom LCD char generator | Technical questions will only be answered in forum threads

Canberra Australia
God Member
Hardcore Arduino
View Profile

When I first started this thread, as I stated it was a “tongue in cheek” comment, which I certainly did not expect to provoke what some might term a passionate debate. At least hearing Fritzing proponents argue their case has given me a slightly more favourable view of the offending software (another tongue in cheek comment) Oh well I admit maybe it’s not as bad as I first thought, once you understand it’s full potential, and on that note, no I am not going to become a born again door to door Fritzing spokesman. I’ll stick to Tinycad and dreams of soaring like an Eagle. smiley-cool

Melbourne, Australia
God Member
View Profile

Show me a forum devoid of passionate response and I'll show you an Internet brimming with it smiley-wink

Canberra Australia
God Member
Hardcore Arduino
View Profile

Touche. Us Aussies have to stick together  smiley-lol

Denmark
View Profile

This calls for a classic!

* image.jpg (24.33 KB, 300x330 - viewed 33 times.)

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

I draw fritzing diagrams for those that need to build the circuits and do some basic trouble shooting. I send out EAGLE diagrams to wow those ones that don't know printed circuit design or want my help with PCB design smiley-wink

Opening a door to electronics for someone is more important than giving them the precise diagram that could turn them away. Once they're through the door, they will make their decisions to stick with the basics or advance to the next level. We don't have to always use the best tool for the pro to teach the beginners. Sometimes even some "wrong" but good-working things can be used as long as they don't pose profound impacts to the beginners. When I teach something as hard as physics, I could use all calculus, or use some algebra and diagrams and videos and else. Whatever gets students to start understanding the concept is not always the calc, although I almost certainly require that at a later stage.

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

So here we are again, comparing simple symbols to freaking calculus and physics, thinking it's that level of hard, its not, your replacing one set of graphical symbols for another set of graphical symbols that you rarely see outside of this community, thus at some point the user has to learn the same thing twice.

This arduino mentality of the noobie being ultra delicate is something I have never gotten used to cause its just so polar. One one hand you are dropped into a GCC environment with a lot of strict programming rules, then you have people claim that line numbers in the IDE would make it "confusing". Design and construct your own high speed digital circuitry, but dont bother learning a whole page full of basic schematic symbols, the poor little pumpkins might run away. Then there is my favorite, where a photo-realistic rats nest on a breadboard is apparently acceptable, but a real photo of a rats nest on a breadboard wont even get the time of day until a better example can be drawn up.

whatever

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

It's all perspective. Before I knew about arduino, physics and calc were easy but electronics were hard. I think a lot of people will find that too. They may be very good in say web programming or music but found circuit diagram intimidating. If a "realistic" diagram helps them get over the fear over electronics then the diagram is good for something.

Canberra Australia
God Member
Hardcore Arduino
View Profile

I tend to agree with you on this point Liudr. The basic function of any type of diagram or schematic is to effectively communicate an idea. In this case how electronic components are to be connected together in a circuit, so they will function as intended. There can be good and bad representations made with any of these circuit design software packages. It just seems that it is easier for some lazy people to use Fritzing to do this with.  smiley-grin TIC comment

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

It's all perspective. Before I knew about arduino, physics and calc were easy but electronics were hard.

electronics is hard, schematics are not

lets not confuse the two, one is a engineering discipline, the other is a blueprint

Im not an architect, but I can get blueprints and build a deck or a shed, and having a blueprint is much more helpful than a computer rendering of a finished deck
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 09:49:35 pm by Osgeld » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
Jump to: